Gary's Reviews > Revenger

Revenger by Alastair Reynolds

liked it

Reynolds tale of two young sisters who stow away on a starship to escape the dreary future their father has planned for them starts off well enough, but starts getting predictable halfway through. There's a sort of "Daniel Defoe in space" vibe to it that is more admirable in the attempt than the execution.
As usual, Reynolds follows Clarke's third law in his depiction of future and/or alien tech - that "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - so the worldbuilding is as fun as what we've come to expect from him. The villain is properly menacing until Reynolds takes the bite out of her at the end, and likewise the final third of the story loses steam, and ends up pretty much right where I expected it to.
Not bad, but a disappointment coming from Reynolds.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Revenger.

August 3, 2016 – Shelved
August 3, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
October 4, 2016 – Started Reading
November 7, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Ugg, I want to read this but my library doesn't have it or on overdrive either. Maybe they will get it since they are coming out with another edition, same cover in February.

Gary Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ wrote: "Ugg, I want to read this but my library doesn't have it or on overdrive either. Maybe they will get it since they are coming out with another edition, same cover in February."

I saw it had a February release date and went on Amazon to see what their preorder price was, and lo and behold I discovered it had been available on Kindle since September. My guess is somebody from the UK uploaded it for people to torrent, so the publisher decided to make it available as an ebook here so people would buy it instead of stealing it. But it probably won't be in libraries until after the official release date.

message 3: by Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ (last edited Nov 14, 2016 09:04AM) (new) - added it

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Yeah, I won't buy it on kindle. I saw it there but I don't spend over $4.99on a kindle book and plus I have kindle unlimited. I will have to wait until it gets to the libraries. It's not like I don't have a million and one things to read. lol

message 4: by Jokoloyo (new)

Jokoloyo What I don't understand, why the gap so wide between ebook and printed book. if Ebook version is already final, should the printing takes 3-4 months later?

Gary The print version is available in England, but they went ahead and made the eBook available in the u.s. at the same time, even though the print version isn't out until february

William Thank you for the review!

I was not quite happy with the early parts of the story, far too much "Young Adult" feel to it. However, it goes very very dark in the second half, and I ended up loving it.