cecilia's Reviews > Bluefish

May 28, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: blue-covers
Read in September, 2011

Travis has spent his high school years with his head down and staying off everyone's radar. When he moves to a new school in a somewhat small town, it seems that he attracts attention like a flame does for a moth. The town bullies see a new threat; the basketball players see a new ally; the rejects see a possible savior; the girls think he's cute but dumb; and the English teacher see a boy who somehow got left behind. Travis succeeds in keeping everyone away except for the colorful Velveeta who refuses to leave him alone until she discovers what makes him tick.

I found Bluefish a rather nice read that will pair well with a lazy, summer day in the park if you need a break from those intense paranormal or moving contemporary reads. The two main characters - Travis and Velveeta - were a little hard to befriend at first. They seemed closed-off, and they each had quite the backstory that unfolded chapter by chapter. Primarily Bluefish was Travis's story, but Velveeta sneaks herself in at the end of each chapter with a journal entry - and honestly I fell more in love with Velveeta's quirky voice and wished I had seen more of it! As far as illiteracy goes, I was intrigued with how the English teacher tried to motivate Travis to learn - which, in turn, makes me want to read The Book Thief which got mentioned quite a few times.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bluefish.