Stella Ko's Reviews > Matilda

Matilda by Roald Dahl

U 50x66

bookshelves: summer-assignment

Do you remember the first chapter book that you’ve enjoyed and couldn’t think about it every day? Matilda and the other series written by Roald Dahl were the best books that I’ve enjoyed reading when I was in 4th grade. I still read this book whenever I begin to get bored reading high ranged books. James and the giant peach is the book that was given to us when we were in 4th grade as a summer assignment. Ronald Dahl book series seemed too challenging for me since I’ve only read small chapter books like ‘Junie B. Jones’ written by Barbara Park. So, I kept reading James and the giant peach over and over to make sure that I was able to understand the whole story fully. Then I fell in love with Roald Dahl’s peculiar writing style. Matilda was the next book that I’ve tried reading.

This book handles about several social problems. I don't know if Road Dahl meant to. But however, Child abuse problem and adults having a low opinion of their child were found in the book. I always didn’t understand parents boasting about their child, even though they were not that outstanding. But Matilda’s parents, Mr.Wormwood and Mrs.Wormwood were just the opposite of most of our parents. They don’t recognize how much Matilda is intelligent because they don’t care about her. They even think Matilda is needless for them. Just like all the other Roald Dahl’s book, Roald Dahl attempts to step into the reader’s mind. He gives a message to the young readers. “Do what you want. Don’t be afraid. You can do it.” Maybe he was trying to tell the kids that Adults are just grown physically, but not fully developed mentally because I could clearly see Miss Trunchbull was younger in mental age.

Miss Jennifer Honey is the only adult who listens to Matilda. She is Matilda’s teacher and notices her intelligence. Miss Honey tried to arrange Matilda to the upper class, but Miss Trunchbull didn’t allow to do so because Matilda’s father didn’t let her. Miss Honey tried to convince Matilda’s parents, but they didn’t believe her words. Miss Honey is my favorite character. She allowed and understood Matilda’s difference with other kids, her intelligence. By Matilda’s ability to lift an object by her eyes, Miss Honey was able to re-find her house and her properties. This means that a grown up adult had got help by a little kid.

Throughout the book, you might notice this book being fanciful. Roald Dahl’s book is always whimsical but delivers a clear message to young readers. He is the best storyteller for elementary kids, and even to adults who miss their childhood. I think this is the reason why everyone should once read Road Dahl’s book series. I ADMIRE YOU ROALD DAHL!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Matilda.

Started Reading