Sukanya Venkatraghavan's Reviews > It Must've Been Something He Wrote

It Must've Been Something He Wrote by Nikita Deshpande

Love love love this book. Fabulous, assured debut by Nikita Deshpande. It makes a strong case for WELL WRITTEN, funny and interesting 'chick lit' or 'romance' callitwhatyouwill. I personally find it difficult to slot this under any genre. The writing is fantastic and the characters believable and aspirational. I read this in one sitting and have no doubt you will too. Also if authors like Jish exist (despite the horrendous titles) gimmeeeittt. I saw so much of myself in Ruta and her quandaries. Now am dying to read It Must Have Been Something SHE wrote. Sequel, series... anyone?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It Must've Been Something He Wrote.

Quotes Sukanya Liked

Nikita Deshpande
“My family’s tradition of ‘matching-matching’ names is so obsessive, it’s against the order of nature. When my uncles Anil and Anant married, they took advantage of a heinous custom in Marathi weddings. After the pheras, a dish of uncooked rice is placed before the newlyweds, and whatever name the husband chooses to write in the rice becomes the new name of his wife.
Because marriage in our culture is akin to buying a puppy at a pet shop and saying, ‘I am your new owner, and I shall call you Flu y.’
So Anil Adarkar brought home Asha Adarkar (née Kiran), and Anant Adarkar brought home Anita Adarkar (née Geeta). And to complete this picture of divine perfection they named their children Aniket, and Ashwini and Ashleysha, respectively.”
Nikita Deshpande, It Must've Been Something He Wrote