Kristin's Reviews > How the Heather Looks: A Joyous Journey to the British Sources of Children's Books

How the Heather Looks by Joan Bodger

liked it

I wanted so badly to love this book...I expected to love it. Travel memoir meets British children's literature? Right up my alley.

But I didn't love it. It's a pretty short book but it took me over two weeks to read! I love the idea of it. Some parts were really sweet and touching and thoughtful and well written, but a lot of it was a bit dull and seemed to drag on. And I was surprised by how many of the books mentioned I hadn't read, or how many sections I didn't really have any interest in (the King Arthur chapter, for example). I don't know. Overall it was just okay, a bit of a disappointment.

(I wished I hadn't read the afterward! The family seems so sweet and happy in the book, but the afterward revealed some depressing facts about them afterwards...the husband and wife divorced, the daughter had a brain tumor, etc.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How the Heather Looks.

May 28, 2011 – Shelved
December 6, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
July 2, 2017 – Started Reading
July 16, 2017 –
page 128
July 19, 2017 – Finished Reading

GypsyBookworm I loved this book completely but I agree with wishing you hadn't read the afterword. I will never be able to not know how it all ends and it does make the story seem incredibly fragile.