Bybees's Reviews > Playing for Pizza

Playing for Pizza by John Grisham

U 50x66
Mar 06, 2008

liked it

Katie: Ryan read this one first and informed me it was more of a guy book because it was all about football. I read it anyway and was thoroughly surprised by how much I enjoyed it, not being much of a football fan. I would probably up the rating to 3 1/2 or 4 stars. I loved the characters, though not necessarily the protagonist, which was my main criticism of the book. I just couldn't get over that he was a man slut and kind of a sleaze ball so I didn't really care to rally behind him and was kind of apathetic when things finally went his way. But, the culture shock episodes where always entertaining.

I also loved the descriptions of Italy: the people and culture, the architecture and history, the opera. I want to go out and find me an Italian to be my friend because I love their passion and loyalty. I also want to go to Italy and try the food that was described so well. All in all, this is a short, feel-good book and I recommend it!

Ryan: Overall, an entertaining read that didn't inspire me to be any better but didn't make me feel like I wasted my time. It's more of a guy book (lots of play-by-play football details given).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Playing for Pizza.

Beth Lee I felt exactly the same about Rick. I never really embraced him but I loved the supporting cast. I found it really hard to feel too sorry for him or too happy for him. It seems like he finally settles down at the end bits it's too late I'm just meh towards him. However I wouldn't mind a season 2 just to enjoy the rest of the team some more : )