Jesse (JesseTheReader)'s Reviews > Harry Potter and the Cursed Child: Parts One and Two

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by John Tiffany

I'm not going to rate this.
I didn't hate it.
I didn't love it.
It's just a thing that exists and I'm accepting it for what it is.

*edit: I didn't mean for this review to come off as shady as it did. I'm going to make a video discussing my feelings further. I'm happy that we got to visit this world again, but it just wasn't what I was expecting it to be. If you LOVED this book, that's okay! I'm happy that you enjoyed it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.

August 2, 2016 – Started Reading
August 2, 2016 – Shelved
August 2, 2016 –
page 49
14.29% "definitely some interesting things happening already.."
August 4, 2016 –
page 199
August 4, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 82 (82 new)

Sara Kind of how I felt. I'm very glad that I read it, but it's so separate from the true Harry Potter series for me that I can't quite place my feelings about it.

Eman Thabet even tho i am upset to see a lot of negative review about that but ur rating is just funny lol

Samantha Grubey (ABookHaven) How I look at this is it is a separate thing from Harry Potter series, so I liked it for what it is on it's own.

Desirai Really? But no rating?

Caron I did the same as Samantha. Thought of it as a book on it's own so I ended up loving it.

message 6: by Chey (new) - added it

Chey I think that's a fair way to go about this. If it were the same story but actually novelized prior to becoming a play, I think it would be worthy of rating. But as it stands now, this book is just pure dialogue written by people other than Rowling. And the story probably works for well for the stage.

As far as being an actual part of the HP canon as Rowling claims...well....I don't know what to say....other than I hope her version of this story is more fleshed out and fills plot-holes.

Amanda I read it reminding myself that it is a play for stage and open to interpretation and direction. Its a new format and so should be read on its own and I appreciated for what it is.. A script. Little disappointed that she went with Time Travel and not something completely new and original, but enjoyed the characters and think it will be mind blowing on stage.

Bookish Life wow I was not expecting that . I still haven't read the book . but that was really surprising

Harkeerat of the Apollo Cabin it wasn't worth it, was it? Considering that JK could just have ended Harry Potter with the end in Deathly Hallows, we all love happy endings when there aren't any more troubles.......

Adauto Castrejon i couldn't rate it either, not yet at least. I'm still chewing it over.

message 11: by Sanna (new) - added it

Sanna Ouch

Heleen I feel exactly the same!! I didn't hate it at all, but I didn't love it like I hoped... It exists and don't mind that. But I don't know if I'll be rereading it like I reread the other HP books... But I did buy tickets for the play obviously

message 13: by Val (new)

Val Hdz Sorry about that

message 14: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda Rousseau You put my feelings into words

message 15: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah This is perfect XD

Dario This is exactly what I think!

Derlis Aguilera this bool was jus meh

Giulia Di Mauro are u going to do a video about it?

Desirai What I really want to know is if you felt it was worth the $25+ for it. I don't normally purchase hardcovers so I'm not sure it's worth that much money to me.

Reagan I'm overjoyed that this exists and loved reading it

message 21: by Santiago (new) - added it

Santiago Same feelings over here!

message 22: by Eden (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eden Elwell Same!

message 23: by Alex (new) - rated it 1 star

Alex This is exactly what I felt about the book. I'm so glad I wasn't the only one who didn't fall head over heels in love with the story.

message 24: by Emma (new) - rated it 3 stars

Emma Giordano ew jesse this review is soooooo shady why you throwing so much shade

message 25: by Saj (new) - rated it 3 stars

Saj Exactly what I was feeling too!

message 26: by Rumer (new) - rated it 1 star

Rumer Wilkinson your review summed up my thoughts exactly, as brief as it was in this. interested to hear the full video!

message 27: by Jordan (new) - added it

Jordan Thank you! That is exactly how I felt about it.

message 28: by Jac (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jac I loved it so much! I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it like you thought you would. I think so people are having a hard time because one it's a play and two it's not complete written by JK Rowling, there are two other authors.

Martina I plainly hate it. So I understand your feelings, it was not what I expected at all...

message 30: by Book Trail (new)

Book Trail so fast lol

PrincessKonsvelaBananaHamek I'm really sad that you didn't enjoy it. you were so happy :(

message 32: by Anita (new) - added it

Anita I love the fact that you have an honest opinion. No matter if you liked it or not.

Claire Same. I did rate it, but I really struggled. If it was just any other book i would have rated it 1 1/2 to 2 stars, but I cannot give a Harry Potter book less than three... I don't hate it, it just feels so "not Potter"

Shannon Rockal i feel the same x

message 35: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Dickson I have never read Harry Potter (I will be starting it soon), but I'm appreciate this new book! It's a play! Millions of people are being exposed to dramatic literature through this new Harry Potter stories. Dramatizing such a well-beloved story can be difficult; it's about adapting the world and about expressing it through dialogue and stage directions. I haven't read Cursed Child, but I thought I would mention this!

Emily Loveday I understand hating it, I personally just tried to concentrate on the characters rather then the plot because a) it was a play and b) there was more authors then just JK.
I loved it because, the characters were exactly or fairly close to were I imagined they would be! Sometimes the story didn't make quiet as much sense if you put it in the scheme of things with the other novels, BUT I'm happy that like you said we got to revisit the magical world!!
Bring on fantastic beasts

Jordan Is it bad that I'm reading it and loving it? Because everyone else is hating it haha. It has been a long time since I read Harry Potter, but I don't know. Maybe it's because I'm a theater nerd and I'm picturing it on a stage, and it makes me love it. Unpopular opinion here haha.

Lizzy Same with me! I'm just so used to the very intricate books that while reading I had to keep reminding myself that it was a play. But I think once the performance comes out, maybe it will shed some light on the parts that don't make sense.

message 39: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I have not touched this book yet and I'm not sure if I ever will. HP means a lot to me (currently rereading the whole series for the third (?) time) and I don't want to "destroy" everything with this.
I mean, so many people seem to love it but I also heard a lot of mixed feelings about it... I personally never wanted another HP book, I just want these wonderful charakters to live in peace for the rest of their lifes. And now there is another book following them (kind of).
So yeah, not sure what to do, cuz IT'S HP.
I want to read it but at the same time I just want to forget it. xD
also, greetings from germany :) (so sry for any mistakes :'))

message 40: by Cailey Mac (new) - added it

Cailey Mac I just took the story for what it was, and I actually really enjoyed it once I got certain ideas of what I wanted out of my head. Overall it was a really fun piece to read!

message 41: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Kong I was probably the only person not excited for this book. wveryone was like "there's an eighth book out!" and I was just like "it's a script not written by jk Rowling for s play that already exists!" haha. I loved the Harry Potter series, read them later in my life so I didn't grow up with it. maybe not a nolstalgic connection with the series.

Sangita Sinha I had to ask, how were you able to review, without adding a rating. I can't seem to do that.

Booksorcoffee I understand what you mean about this book. I did a review of it o my channel and I talked about how it was awesome to be back there but somethings weren't the best.

Sairah I get what you mean. I couldn't rate it either- I don't know what I would rate it if I did. I have very mixed emotions on this book.

Shanah Agreed. This was a hard one to rate. It was great if you take it for what it was - a play. But it needed to be a full length novel. There was just so much that was rushed and glossed over. I needed more. But at face value, it's a great play lol

message 46: by sarah (new) - rated it 1 star

sarah your way of putting it perfectly sums up the way i feel about it to. there were parts i really enjoyed and parts that i detested.

Margo Yeah I agree with you on this sort of

James Lawner Just give it a 2.5 and call it a day

Victor Murillo So many people are reading this book thinking it will be like all the other HP books but it's not. It was made as a play and she be looked at as a play written by people who are not J.K

Willa Valentine (paper.seas) I'm reading it now and honestly, it feels like something pretty stupid and far too bloated. I actually wanted to hear more about the original characters and their children, but instead I got a short story that's overpriced... ?

« previous 1