Thomas's Reviews > The Island Will Sink

The Island Will Sink by Briohny Doyle

A sparkling debut. This is precisely the thing that I would like to publish under Fantastica. If Briohny had come to us with the MS it would have been yes, yes, yes.

Despite the tremors of debut writing (perhaps slightly too much exposition to begin with) this is a very assured book. It's probably the type of thing I'd love to write. The near-future is thought out and realistic. It's a little bit like every episode of Black Mirror rolled into one (minus sex with a pig), with a coherent and touching story and without all the brashness/crassness of Charlie Brooker (that said I love Charlie's Black Mirror because they are clearly more satire).

The best characters were probably the two children, who I thought were scarily perceived reflections of future childhood - that is, a complete lack of innocence. The other first-novel jitter was that characters seemed to meet for the sole purpose of discussing philosophy, but again this disappeared as the novel progressed and became much more human. Plus, who cares, I love futuristic books that have sardonic characters chatting about the meaning of life. That and the absolute gems of writing that Briohny manages to bring forth. She's a bloody great writer.

The ending is crazy whack, somewhat reminded me of Neon Genesis Evangelion and the Human Instrumentality Project. A sort of group madness as we fold in on each other and disaster sweeps over us. Kinda feels like it is to be alive in 2016. And to be honest I was leaning towards the whole thing being a dream (ie the main characters was being brought out of a coma) but I was happy to be wrong and the ending is very fitting.

Top stuff, highly recommend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Island Will Sink.

August 2, 2016 – Started Reading