Sidharth Vardhan's Reviews > Breakfast at Tiffany's

Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote

bookshelves: usa, list-1001, list-guardian-1000

"Anyway, home is where you feel at home. I'm still looking."

Ok, I no longer believe in 'never Judge a book by its cover'. I read this one mainly because of it's cover. Have you ever feared being trapped by love and similar demons? It is basically about that fear.

"You've got to be sensitive to appreciate her: a streak of the poet. But I'll tell you the truth. You can beat your brains out for her, and she'll hand you horseshit on a platter."

There are some people who, in their easy going and wanting-to-include-everyone-in-their-joy ways become highly likeable to sensitive souls, the sensitive folks find themselves emotionally invested in them only getting indifference in return. The indifference is not always because of malice. Sometimes, these people, just as Holly was, are as sensitive as others but have decided that they won't let themselves caged down even by other' love.

"Never love a wild thing, Mr. Bell,"

It is a kind of life that most people are often tempted to lead. We look at the birds flying in the sky and are envious of their so-called 'freedom':

"Don't wanna sleep, don't wanna die, just wanna go a-travelin' through the pastures of the sky."

but:

"and believe me, dearest Doc -- it's better to look at the sky than live there. Such an empty place; so vague. Just a country where the thunder goes and things disappear."

And so, Holly learned her lesson - freedom,as we wish to see it, is an illusion. The only real freedom we can have is freedom to choose our own cage - and, what we need is to find a cage where we can feel at home. Unfortunately, it was too late.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breakfast at Tiffany's.

August 2, 2016 – Shelved
Started Reading
December 20, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

message 1: by Vessey (new) - added it

Vessey Sidski, thank you so much for this excellent review! :) I'm so glad that you liked this one. You almost made me want to give it another shot. :) I love this part:

It's better to look at the sky than live there. Such an empty place; so vague. Just a country where the thunder goes and things disappear."

Oh, and your conclusion:

Freedom,as we wish to see it, is an illusion. The only real freedom we can have is freedom to choose our own cage - and, what we need is to find a cage where we can feel at home.

Far too pessimistic. Lighten up a bit. :) I understand what you mean and I will share with you something you have probably seen anyway, but just in case. I think that Leo is trying to say the same in his review of The Secret Diaries of a Teenage Nymphomaniac

Pain is inevitable at every phase: it’s just the quality of it that changes. As old pains are extinguished, new ones come in and fill their place. This inevitability means that we shouldn’t fight to eradicate the pain in our lives so much as simply acknowledge it and focus on what’s positive.

So yes, I suppose you are right. Each of has their own cage. No one can be absolutely free, but this isn't the same as not being free at all. We are all free to an extent. What you have told me about trust applies to freedom too. I often remind myself the words "Life is not about avoiding suffering. It's about creating meaning" They give me strength. I love you <3

Jeffrey Keeten Aubrey Hepburn is forever Holly Golightly in my mind. I hope you've had a chance to see the movie Sid. I'm really glad you liked this one...awesome.

message 3: by Jokoloyo (new) - added it

Jokoloyo Thank you for the review, Sidharth. It make me want to read it.

Jeffrey wrote: "Aubrey Hepburn is forever Holly Golightly in my mind. I hope you've had a chance to see the movie Sid. I'm really glad you liked this one...awesome."

Audrey Hepburn was so beautiful in that movie. I know I am shallow, but I can't help it.

message 4: by Lizzy (new) - added it

Lizzy Excellent review, Sid. Thanks for sharing. L.

Sidharth Vardhan Vessey wrote: "Sidski, thank you so much for this excellent review! :) I'm so glad that you liked this one. You almost made me want to give it another shot. :) I love this part:

It's better to look at the sky th..."

You should totally read it, Valentine. It is short and amazing - the prose is beautiful and well paced. That quote about sky is really beautiful, isn't! That Leo quote is beautiful too, must check that review. Thanks for reference. And yes I agree with you both, perhaps freedom is just having a home to call one's own .... And oh! Whatever :)

Sidharth Vardhan @Jeffery and Jokoloyo

Thanks friends. Aubrey, or at least her picture at the cover ,was the reason I read the book. Saw the movie last night. Theory goes that there were other actors too, but I was too busy looking at her to notice anybody else. I guess I will have to rewatch the movie.

Sidharth Vardhan Lizzy wrote: "Excellent review, Sid. Thanks for sharing. L."

Thanks Lizzy.

message 8: by Jokoloyo (new) - added it

Jokoloyo Sidharth wrote: "@Jeffery and Jokoloyo

LOL! Didn't notice George Peppard when he was young? the first Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith... :P

Sidharth Vardhan Jokoloyo wrote: "Sidharth wrote: "@Jeffery and Jokoloyo