James's Reviews > Better Late Than Never

Better Late Than Never by Jenn McKinlay

bookshelves: 2-fic-cozy-mystery, 1-fiction, 3-multi-book-series, 9-read-2018-03-march

When I need a go-to, guaranteed solid and sure-fire cozy mystery, I look to Jenn McKinlay for her wonderful settings, characters and plots. In the seventh book of the Library Lover's mystery series, I found another good read with Better Late Than Never. I give it 3.5 out of 5 stars and round it up to 4 on Goodreads and Amazon.

It's Amnesty Day at the Briar Creek Public Library where Lindsey receives hundreds of overdue library books, including one that was last handled by someone who was murdered--and the crime was never solved! Lindsey quietly investigates in the background while trying to keep famous actor Robbie Vine from convincing her to be his girlfriend. She also spends more time with Sully, and there's an actual decision in her love triangle in this book. While playing detective, Lindsey meets tons of staff at the local high school, learns more about the brother of another supporting character, and finds herself discovering someone isn't who they say they are... shocker! LOL

McKinlay always delivers characters you can believe and whom you want to know. The setting is cozy and makes you wish you lived in the town, minus the murders. The plot was strong in the beginning, but the case was solved too quickly. It was humming along with a few potential suspects and then BAM, the "I know who did it" scenario happens... but there weren't enough clues along the way. The book was 50% focused on her relationship issues which meant less time for the crime. In some ways, I'm cool with that, as I like Lindsey and it's always fun to just read about her life. But I think it would have been better with another 2 chapters leading readers around a bit before she guessed the killer and found herself in his/her clutches.

I'll keep reading as I'm a fan... maybe next time it will be even stronger. I have her Hat Shop series books on my shelf saying 'read me now please' but I can't listen until after I finish my Agatha Christie Readathon I'm hosting in April 2018.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Better Late Than Never.

August 2, 2016 – Shelved
August 2, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
September 5, 2016 – Shelved as: 2-fic-cozy-mystery
March 11, 2017 – Shelved as: 1-fiction
January 8, 2018 – Shelved as: 3-multi-book-series
March 14, 2018 – Started Reading
March 20, 2018 –
page 168
55.26% "I love books about books. Especially when there’s a fun caper."
March 20, 2018 – Shelved as: 9-read-2018-03-march