Kendel Christensen's Reviews > Living With Enthusiasm

Living With Enthusiasm by L. Tom Perry

May 27, 2011

Recommended to Kendel by: God
Recommended for: Anyone who wants to live a happier, more fulfilling life

Great Read! There are a great many good thoughts in this book, (the life-changing parts, for me was in the intro and first chapter--I read that years ago and adopted his motto as my own).

"Every great and commanding moment in the annals of the world is the triumph of some enthusiasm. . . . Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm."
(Ralph Waldo Emerson, The Complete Writings of Ralph Waldo Emerson (New York: Wm. H. Wise & Co., 1929), pp. 77, 222)
(in L. Tom Perry, “Living with Enthusiasm,” [Deseret Book Company. Salt Lake City, Utah. 1996]. vii)

“Isn't the Holy Ghost a constant companion you need in your life? Consider what you need to do to receive the full and rich blessings of the Spirit. Commence the inner cleansing—now!”
(L.Tom Perry, Living with Enthusiasm, Deseret Book [Salt Lake City: 1996], p.44-45)

“The friends with whom we choose to associate are major contributors to the formation of our character. We form social habits by association with our friends. Good social habits can be useful and become the bases of wholesome personalities, but bad social habits can lead to antisocial attitudes and behaviors. Gradually, bad social habits tarnish our characters and severely limit our potential as sons and daughters of our Heavenly Father.”
(L.Tom Perry, Living with Enthusiasm, Deseret Book [Salt Lake City: 1996], p.49)

“Our governments need standards of integrity. Our communities need yardsticks for measuring decency. Our neighborhoods need models of beauty and cleanliness. Our schools need continued encouragement and assistance in maintaining high educational standards. Rather than spend time complaining about the direction in which these institutions are going, we need to exert our influence to point them in the right direction. A small effort by a few can result in so much good for so many.”
(L.Tom Perry, Living with Enthusiasm, Deseret Book [Salt Lake City: 1996], p.61)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Living With Enthusiasm.