Jay's Reviews > The Pericles Commission

The Pericles Commission by Gary Corby

U 50x66

liked it

An ancient Athenian murder mystery. Simple (that's a compliment); maybe "clean" is a better way to describe it. I find the protagonist's "stoicism" (an anachronism, since the events take place 150 years prior to Zeno's earliest teaching) to be too artificial. And I'm always leery of strong female characters in fictional antiquities; although in his end Note, the author claims scholarly support for both the situation, and the particular female character (confirmed by Wikipedia). So I'm going to give him a pass on this one.

Perversely, I had the experience of both not wanting to put down the book once I started reading; and not wanting to pick it up again once I'd put it down.

I'll mark that as due to the fact that its neither science fiction nor computer technical, rather than anything wrong with the author.

So this book probably deserves 4 stars. But I can only rate it for myself, right?
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pericles Commission.

Started Reading
May 27, 2011 – Shelved
May 27, 2011 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Janine Southard I've heard conflicting things about this book before, but....Periclean Athens! Mysteries! Is my hero, Alcibiades, in it?

message 2: by Jay (last edited Jun 24, 2011 07:47PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jay Janine wrote: "I've heard conflicting things about this book before, but....Periclean Athens! Mysteries! Is my hero, Alcibiades, in it?"

No Alcibiades; and isn't that a bummer?