Anne's Reviews > To Kill a Mockingbird

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

bookshelves: read-in-english, all-time-favs

Gosh, this is one of my new all time favorite books! It's just a shame that I will never be able to fully express how and why it affected me as much as it did. But I can try my best to at least write a few words to let you know what things I enjoyed (spoiler: I enjoyed every single word).

This story deals with the very important and sensitive topic of racism and is told from the point of five of a little girl. I had my doubts if this combination would work out. But somehow, Harper Lee was able to create an incredibly compelling character, who understands and misunderstands just the right amounts to be realistic, and to get all the major points the novel is trying to make across. It would have been easy to write from the perspective of Atticus, the 'hero' of the story. But I think this wouldn't have been the right thing to do; it would have seemed far too self-indulgent and conceited.

The characters themselves are all incredibly lovely. They just warmed up my heart. I'd love to give those three little kids, Scout and Jem and Dill, a giant hug. I'd like to shake the hand of Atticus and pay him my respects. I would go to Church with Calpurnia and find out more about her life. I would smile at Boo, to let him know that I accept him just the way he is, and while a simple smile might seem like a typical interaction to others, I'm sure it would mean a lot to Boo.
So yeah, all of those characters have found a place in my heart, and I know that they will definitely stay in my mind for a long time to come as well.

I'm currently still in a bit of a reading slump, but this book grabbed my attention from the first page and kept me smiling and laughing and crying. No wonder it's such a well-loved classic! I definitely agree that it's one of those books everyone should read at least once. Personally, I already know that I will read it many more times in the future.

August 2, 2016 – Shelved
August 2, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
March 1, 2019 – Started Reading
March 3, 2019 – Shelved as: read-in-english
March 3, 2019 – Shelved as: all-time-favs
March 3, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)

message 1: by Amber (new) - added it

Amber How is this one?

Anne Amber wrote: "How is this one?"

I absolutely loved every word of it! 😍

message 3: by Amber (new) - added it

Amber awesome. will add it to my TBR then.

Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ Glad you loved this, Anne! This book is precious <3

David Katzman Classic!

message 6: by Tristram (new)

Tristram Shandy You should also watch the movie with Gregory Peck!

Fernando What an amazing movie. Peck is just impecable...

Anne Fernando wrote: "What an amazing movie. Peck is just impecable..."

Tristram wrote: "You should also watch the movie with Gregory Peck!"

Watched it and loved it! 🖤

David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party "It surprised me how easy to read I found the writing style. It's hard to believe this was written in the 60's! I think the fact the topic is (unfortunately) a timeless one plays a part in that." - I totally agree with you on this. I read the book for the first time a couple of years ago, and I was a little intimidated going into it, but Harper Lee's prose is so absorbing even 50 years later!

Wonderful review as always, Anne! :)

message 10: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party wrote: ""It surprised me how easy to read I found the writing style. It's hard to believe this was written in the 60's! I think the fact the topic is (unfortunately) a timeless one plays a part in that." -..."

Thank you very much, David! 😊

Paula Kalin Lovely review, Anne!

message 12: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne Paula wrote: "Lovely review, Anne!"

Thank you, Paula!

message 13: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim Anne, now I want to go dig out my copy and read it again, thanks for the review.

message 14: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne Kim wrote: "Anne, now I want to go dig out my copy and read it again, thanks for the review."

Thank YOU, Kim, for the nice words! :)

message 15: by PamG (new)

PamG Great review, Anne.

message 16: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne PamG wrote: "Great review, Anne."

Thank you!