Jennie's Reviews > The Case for the Only Child: Your Essential Guide

The Case for the Only Child by Susan Newman

May 27, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: non-fiction, parenting, read-in-2011, read-in-may

When I saw this book available for TLC’s book tour, I jumped at the chance to read it. Brett and I are 99% sure we are done having children and that Sammie will be our only child. Parenthood has been wonderful for us but Sammie has had a lot of health issues that required a lot of time, energy and money. Most of all though, our family feels complete just the three of us. I decided to participate in this tour to read the book because I feel a lot of residual guilt over not having more children because I feel like we are supposed to have at least two – I don’t know I feel this way, but I do.

With this book targeted at one-child families it is to be expected that it was biased towards this borderline to a fault. At times it felt so pro one-child that it almost mocked and/or disrespected those who have more than one child. I understand that being pro anything can make it hard to not appear anti the opposite. For the most part, this book read more that it is ok to only have one child rather than pro one child but a few chapters blurred that a bit.

However, if you are considering being a one-child family, this book is a good read. It does evaluate the benefits and drawbacks of this type of family unit. It also discusses a few of the studies that have been published relating to health and social skills for the only child versus siblings. I thought this was interesting, even though we haven’t really looked at studies for our reasons for leaning towards our one-child family. In all, this book didn’t sell me on only having one child, but it did lower my level of guilt and my feeling of being an oddity. If you are considering only having one child, this book is worth a read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Case for the Only Child.