Kaitlin's Reviews > Dealing with Dragons

Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede

19126246

This is a truly charming middle-grade/children's fantasy book which really captivated me, and which (even though I am 21 when first reading it) I loved. The story follows a very wilful, strong female Princess who doesn't like the silly troupes of being a Princess to which everyone else around her conforms. Princess Cimorene decides that she wants to learn to Fence, and when she's told this is un-lady-like and most definitely un-princess-like she decides to try something else equally as un-princess-like. As her parents chide her and she rebels, she soon realises that living in harmony with them isn't going to be possible much longer so she runs away and finds some Dragons to live with...

What I love about this is that it definitely subverts many of the naive, silly Princess troupes we see a lot of in fantasy. The main character of this book is a role model for young girls, not someone waiting for her Prince to come save her, but someone who goes out and gets what she needs/wants for herself and along the way makes herself not only useful, but invaluable to those around her.

Cimorene and her Dragon have a lovely relationship, and as the book goes on we see Cimorene develop as a character and an adventurer. The story is certainly one where I feel like many young girls would love to read it, and would be inspired and excited by the heroine they met.

Overall, this is a light, quick but very wonderful read and it's the start to a series I certainly want to carry on with very soon. I am very grateful that Giselle recommended it to me, and I can't wait to see how the series shapes up in future. 4*s overall.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dealing with Dragons.

Quotes Kaitlin Liked

Patricia C. Wrede
“Well,” said the frog, “what are you going to do about it?”

“Marrying Therandil? I don’t know. I’ve tried talking to my parents, but they won’t listen, and neither will Therandil.”

“I didn’t ask what you’d said about it,” the frog snapped. “I asked what you’re going to do. Nine times out of ten, talking is a way of avoiding doing things.”
Patricia C. Wrede, Dealing with Dragons

August 1, 2016 – Started Reading
August 1, 2016 – Shelved
August 1, 2016 –
page 42
20.19% "So far this is fantastic!"
August 2, 2016 –
page 144
69.23% "So this is suuuuper fun so far!"
August 2, 2016 – Finished Reading