Moriah's Reviews > The Replacement Crush

The Replacement Crush by Lisa Brown Roberts

Aug 01, 2016

*This review will also appear on A Leisure Moment*

**I received an eARC of this book in exchange for an honest review**

“Nerd hot was most definitely a thing.”

Oh goodness, I’m not sure there are enough words in the English language to articulate how much I loved this book. It was all the romance of Lisa Brown Roberts in true form, sprinkled with a Gilmore Girls and The O.C.-like crossover setting, and a nerdy love interest that reminded me of Dylan O’Brien with glasses. Yes—this book was spectacular.

“’Girls can be strong and independent and still want to fall in love, but with the right person who appreciates those qualities.’”

Vivian Galdi spent nine days of her summer living out her fantasy of Jake, her crush since kindergarten, reciprocating her feelings. When she started back school he acted like nothing had ever happened, so she had to do recon: find a replacement for her raging teenage hormones. Firstly, I loved how Vivian’s hormones were basically another character in the novel, and they sounded a lot like Spock. Secondly, Vivian was a booknerd. Roberts did the booknerd community justice, even adding a few reviews from Viv’s review blog for readers to see how like-minded she is with the rest of us. She fangirled over romances the most, the stereotypical, bare-chested kind, which resulted in many laugh-out-loud moments. With her black curls and oversized t-shirts, Viv is the kind of girl that you could talk to about the difference between time loop and time slip for hours. What’s not to love about that?

“The romance in my life existed between the covers, all right. The covers of books.”

Okay, giving me a hero with glasses might be better than any romance I’ve ever read before. Though Jase Garrett, Parker Madison, and Bryan Lakewood seriously give him a run for his money. However, that’s the best thing about book boyfriends—you can have as many as you want and no one gets jealous! Dallas Lang stole my book-loving heart with his witty banter, geeky shirts, and messy brown hair. I want one, a Dallas. He had a few secrets that made him all the better when everything came to light. Vespa Guy or McNerd, whichever delightful nickname you choose for him, made me smile like a maniac and is most definitely, undeniably crush-worthy.

“’Maybe. But wouldn’t you rather fall in love for real than just read about it?”

A lot of the story takes place in a bookstore, so it has that going for it. The town had a je ne sais quoi about it. I wanted to escape to the beach and throw my cares away. Viv’s friends were great supporting characters and had depth of their own. I felt like I knew the people of Shady Cove by the time I had finished the book and would like to see more of them (Toff and Amy maybe????). Hipster me would love to see more of this town, but if that’s not the case, I’ve had my fill.

“…our easy friendship settling around me like a comfy old hoodie.”

I had slight trepidation when I saw the cover. It’s different than Roberts’s other covers, though she has no control over that, and I really enjoyed Resisting the Rebel. The story inside did not disappoint, so my qualms over the cover have no merit (but who wouldn’t love to see some of Jaz’s artwork, amiright? But I digress). The Replacement Crush is another successful read by Lisa Brown Roberts and gave me all the McNerdy feels a girl could ask for, not to mention a kindred spirit, Viv. A hearty go-go boots rating from Moriah at A Leisure Moment, and I think Sweet Feet from the Hunkalicious Reader would agree.

“’True love can be strategized. It just…happens.’”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Replacement Crush.

July 30, 2016 – Started Reading