Jennifer's Reviews > The Great Migration: Journey to the North

The Great Migration by Eloise Greenfield

May 27, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: poetry, kids, historicalfiction, nonfiction, 2011reads, corettascottkinghonor

This is another hard one for me to review as it is so emphatically not my thing. The art isn't a style that appeals to me, but I think it's a good fit that complements the text. Greenfield's poems give you a sense of what those involved in the Great Migration might have felt and thought, but I didn't connect to them emotionally (which probably says more about me as a reader than the book). The supplemental materials are very good and consist of a bibliography and an opening author's note describing what the Great Migration was and how her family was part of this piece of history. I could see this being a great classroom supplement, but I'm not sure I remember studying this part of history at all and with all the testing now required wonder if current classes get to it either. I also think this has a good shot at one or both of the Coretta Scott King awards.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Migration.