Brittany's Reviews > The Mirk and Midnight Hour

The Mirk and Midnight Hour by Jane Nickerson

it was ok
bookshelves: 2016, historical-fantasy, ya, stand-alone

The Mirk and Midnight Hour is a very atmospheric and creepy novel. However, in the blurb it's called a retelling of the Tam Lin ballad set in civil war era Mississippi. I would say that it's barely that. You don't get to the Tam Lin parts until probably the last twenty pages of the novel. The rest of it is just the story of a girl who lives on a farm in Mississippi who has to deal with new family members after her father remarries and a scheming cousin. Her romance with the Union soldier is underdeveloped at best. The thing is that if the author had spent about fifty pages more on developing the romance and fifty pages less on farm life this could have been a really compelling novel. However the you don't even meet Thomas (the union soldier) until half way through the novel. He's not even in the book long enough for you to really care about him nevertheless care about his relationship with Violet the protagonist. I feel like this novel started out as one thing, was marketed as another and the final execution was this weird mishmash. I'm not sure if this was a pacing issue or if the author just decided to change directions halfway through the book. Don't get me wrong, there were things I really enjoyed about this novel. I loved most of the characters Violet, Lainey, Amenze, Miss Ruby Jewell, and especially Seeley. I think that if the plotting issue had been dealt with a little differently it could have been really great. Too bad.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mirk and Midnight Hour.

August 1, 2016 – Shelved
August 1, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
August 8, 2016 – Started Reading
page 15
3.91% "Tam Lin Retelling? Beautiful cover? $2.99 on book outlet. Yeah I'll give this a try."
page 86
page 86
22.4% "I'm almost a quarter of the way through can something please happen?"
August 9, 2016 –
page 100
26.04% "Seriously is anything gonna happen?"
August 9, 2016 –
page 167
43.49% "Ok something finally happened but where is this going?"
page 188
page 221
page 277
August 11, 2016 –
page 300
78.13% "The goal is to finish this tonight. It's actually somewhat interesting now but I don't know how in the hell this is a Tam Lin Retelling but sure. Looking forward to writing a pretty detailed review though."
August 11, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016