Jenn's Reviews > Clan Rathskeller

May 27, 2011

bookshelves: own
Read from May 27 to 28, 2011

***NOTE MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS***
First of all I received this short story as a bonus feature to my kindle version of Hounded. I decided to review it separately because I don't like the idea of trying to mesh two stories into the same review.

In this short story Atticus and Oberon, the 2100 Druid and his dog from Hounded are shopping at an outdoor mall where they encounter a group of gnomes and get drawn into the gnomes issues with a kobold. The story is set to occur approximately 10 months before the plot of Hounded.

For a short story this was an excellent read, both entertaining and fast paced. If I was a fan of short stories I'd have probably given this a five stars, I'm more of a novel reader so this was sort of missing the bulk and substance of the novels I prefer. The short story however does include a full story arc, but being a short story, the arc doesn't have the same kind of weight that a novel would. It doesn't have nearly the same importance to the reader compared to the plot in Hounded.

The first person narrative was well written, and considering it's length Hearne did an excellent job of still creating well-rounded and likable characters. In a matter of only a few pages he manages to introduce to the reader a druid, a mind-talking dog, a family of gnomes, a fairy, a god and a kobold. He explains what each being is and kind of where they fit in the magical world quickly, giving the reader enough information to understand the story without burdening the story with too much background. As with Hounded I was enamored with Atticus's smartass voice and Oberon's quick humor.

If you enjoy urban fantasy and like to read short stories, I highly recommend this read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clan Rathskeller.

06/08/2016 marked as: read