Mercedes's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Cursed Child: Parts One and Two

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by John Tiffany

did not like it

Let's be honest - this read like badly written fan fiction

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.

July 31, 2016 – Started Reading
July 31, 2016 – Finished Reading
August 1, 2016 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)

Julia Not quite sure I want to read it now - will you be filming a video about it?

Mercedes Yup, sure will :)

message 3: by Sho (new) - rated it 1 star

Sho oh god.... I am still going to read it I think.

TheSirensLibrary I only got through 28 pages (put it down and decided to read deathly hallows first) but as soon as the trio came in I felt like i was seeing different people new characters. Idk I hope i enjoy it more than you did but that immediately got to me.

Lauren I have tried to take it for what it is a visual experience. I think it will make a great play, especially if you are new to the potterverse, I but to be honest I wasn't surprised the plot and characterisation wasn't up to par. So I am taking it with a pinch of salt and reminding myself that really JK was only partly involved.

message 6: by Isabelle (new)

Isabelle That is what I thought it would be, I'm so glad I didn't buy it

message 7: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia I read one page and hated it! Glad I didn't buy

message 8: by mekkaouii_ (new)

mekkaouii_ Really appreciate the honesty

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I was so hoping someone would read the book and tell me if it was worth buying! That's one more reason to be glad to be one of your youtube channel's subscribers :) I'm really against sequels, because they never live up to the original work. That's why I was already very skeptical when I read the news about this play/book. I felt it was going to be some kind of fan fiction, and I do read fan fiction, very well written fan fiction. And for free. I wanted to give the book a chance, to be honest, For old times sake, so I downloaded the Kindle extract. But guess what? It was more or less the description of the last scene of the last film/book. That put me totally off. I mean, do they really think I'd be interested in buying the whole thing after what they gave me was only something I'd read already? Sorry for the rant... I'm looking forward to your review on youtube :)

message 10: by Roisin (new)

Roisin Collins I knew I didn't want to read this book, and now I am certain I won't bother. The series is perfect, and I really don't think it was necessary to try and add to it.

Kelly Gartland I'm still halfway through so don't know the full plot yet but is it the actual storyline or the writing that bothered you? I was just thinking if I was writing maybe it's because it's a play? Reading a play is hard as it's clunky. The only information is through characters speaking to each other and so there is no subtlety to exposition. If it's just the plot then fair enough ignite me haha X

Kelly Gartland And my spelling mistakes"

Mercedes Kelly wrote: "I'm still halfway through so don't know the full plot yet but is it the actual storyline or the writing that bothered you? I was just thinking if I was writing maybe it's because it's a play? Readi..."

The writing I can deal with because as you said it is a play but I thought the story was horrendously bad and the characters didn't feel genuine. I hope you're enjoying it though :)

Helen This is what I thought! I actually enjoyed it, I thought it was funny, but I definitely don't view it as an extension of the canon and the characters didn't read like the book characters - except Ron, every now and then.

Natasha I thought the same thing. Such a disappointment!

message 16: by Katrina (new)

Katrina Have you seen the play? I haven't read it as I only went to see it a few weeks ago. I found the beginning of the play very cheesy, but the spectacle on stage took over from the storyline, and then after the first interval I thought the story improved and the characters began to settle a little. Definitely worth watching for the staging, magic and some of the director's choices. I have to say I preferred act one to act two.

Teresa Can't wait for your video! It's disappointing and doesn't feel magical at all

message 18: by Emily (new) - rated it 1 star

Emily Gasp! lol Haven't read it yet but looking forward to your review

Kelly Gartland bad

Ah right fair enough. I've just finished it and I know what you mean. There's elements in there that seem like they've been thrown in just to satisfy the fans In a very fanfiction kind of way. I did enjoy it though as the blinded by love potter need I am! Look forward to your video X

message 20: by Kim (new)

Kim It's sad. For future readers this will be how Harry Potter ends. Not with Deathly Hallows.

Sarah Bauer I'm a very honest person, and though I didn't like the pacing I thought it was very well written. Oh well, different things resonate with different people.

Dionne I still have not read it yet, and this post makes me a bit scared. Really hope it doesn't disappoint me, but I love the honesty!

SigurSof i think we're missing a lot by not watching the play. surely if the writing is as it is, the visual part must be so attention consuming that it doesn't allow the writing to be more complex .. albus is harry a bit, other than that i didn't relate to characters much .. hermione's job bothers me most .. and the troly lady xD that bit is just ridiculous xD

Lindsay It was a bit like a fanfic but JK did not actually write it she just approved and edited and helped out with it. It was good but it would have been better if she had just written a last book instead of allowing the play to be "the 8th book". I know she promised she was done with HP and didn't want to write another book but then she shouldn't have contributed to the play either if that were the case.

Kayleigh {K-Books} I haven't read it... and probably won't because it's meant to be seen not read and I'd rather wait and experience it as it was intended.

Sarah Bauer I wonder if the reason I enjoyed it was because I've been in plays and I'm working toward being a screenwriter so I've gotten used to scripts.

message 27: by Ana (new) - rated it 1 star

Ana It really did. About the only tropes that weren't included in the time travel mess related to the Marauders. I honestly expected a mention of Lupin and Sirius shacking up.

Shelley Well - it gave us a chance to be with old friends who we haven't seen in awhile. It is a lovely visit and I for one was happy for the opportunity.

Amber Meyer Yes!!!! Thank you!! My thoughts exactly!!!

message 30: by Ahdev (new) - added it

Ahdev Well I was one of the crazy addicts of the Harry potter series.. Until last year, when I found striking similarities between Harry potter and some great Indian epics.. I always wondered how JKR managed to weave such a flawless story, and then I got answer to that.. She was just inspired by a lot of stories (there are a lot of references mind you, from LOTR and to what not!) and together created this fandom.. I lost my respect for her and it still degraded when she started publishing news that she is creating Fantastic beasts movie and then what do we have, this play turned book!! She exited gracefully saying Harry potter is done, and here she is again breaking her promises and proving that she too is only money minded like everyone else.. Already I've seen a gazillion reviews for this Cursed child book saying that they cannot believe its JKR who wrote this and its like a bad fan fiction.. Which is TRUE! Maybe I wonder that this is her original capability and style of writing, and now she has again promised no more of HP books.. Well she already flopped and confused her readers with this book, and I'm sure that she will not dare write anything related to it anymore.. Although the money minded her will not allow her to stop the fandom and she will bring something new to it in some way, sooner or later.. SHAME ON YOU ROWLING!!

Daniella My thoughts exactly

Heather Henley-Nicholson I thought it read almost exactly like the other books, only with a different style for the actions (due to it being a script, not a novel)

Kashaf Seeing most of the reviews, I am not at all going to read it………To me there are only seven HARRY POTTERs……I just dont want to change my view about HP [*_*]

message 34: by Dani (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dani Austin It read like a script.. Because that's what it is?

Lucinda I'm glad I'm not the only one acknowleding the awful literary merits of this book (should I say 'piece of garbage' instead)?

Amanda I am so glad other people see the fan fiction in this because that was my first thought.....

Muhammad Ibraheem Exactly my thoughts !!!!

Siobhan (tigress5cubs) That's because it was poorly written fan fiction.

message 39: by Ella (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ella Opsteeg This is so not true it is a bit irritating that its written as a play but when you get used to it is okay I really really really loved the book

message 40: by Ella (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ella Opsteeg And I gave it 5 stars
I couldn't stop reading i was reading all day

Kamran Hibba Couldn't agree with you more!

message 42: by Emily (new) - rated it 1 star

Emily You were so right. Worst fanfiction ever.

message 43: by Gina (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gina YES YES YES! Who were these characters? Certainly not the ones we knew and loved. So disappointed, although I do love Scorpius and the new, more humanized version of Draco.

Stacey Oh good! I'm not the only one who thought that! Too much out of character-ness going on. I just finished it to finish it.

JaCk CoRnAlL stop hating i bet you can not write a better famously better book you haters this book is good because it it harry potter so SHUT UP HATTERS

message 46: by Anie (new) - rated it 1 star

Anie R. Landry Is it just me or all the characters lost their characteristics from when they were young . I feel like Draco is completely out of his slytherin ways . I mean I know they evolved into adulthood, but I read it like they evolved out of themselves. Neville is left out of the loop. Hermione and Ron are out of love for each other . Ron failed as raising his kids (roses the biggest brat. She should be a Malloy ) Scorpio has no more characteristics of a slytherin as HP had in the first book. Whatever I AM MAD I HAD TO READ THIS.

Audrey Toth You were right about how it was bad fan fiction. Honestly, I almost cried because it was so bad but I really like Harry Poter. This book was a slap-to-the-face kinda series ender.

message 48: by buchverliebt (new)

buchverliebt exactly what I think about this ... book

message 49: by Sarah (new) - rated it 1 star

Sarah YES! This was exactly my first thought when I finished it. "Bad fan fiction."

message 50: by Dana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dana Cristiana It's not a fanfiction. It's written by John Tiffany. And J.K. Rowling gave her approval to publish it :) And i personally loved this "theater"book. Peace ^^

« previous 1