Lydia's Reviews > Headstrong: 52 Women Who Changed Science-and the World

Headstrong by Rachel Swaby

liked it
bookshelves: feminism, non-fiction, borrowed-from-the-library

This is the first book I've finished in a long time. Whew. Looks like my reading slump is broken!

I really enjoyed this book. I did and didn't like the narrator at times but hearing about the women who changed the scientific world was inspiring and defiant and astonishing. I listened this mostly because if I become a primary teacher, I want to be able to talk about as women in science as confidently as anything else.

Children cannot be what they cannot see, so knowing that a woman invented kevlar is all part of that. My favourite part of the book was the 'Medicine' chapters -- I don't know why, but there was some added emotional layer to that section that just really stuck with me.

The book is overwhelmingly white and contains mostly British and American scientists, which the author acknowledges as an issue in and of itself. The sections itself were also really condensed, which totally worked, but then there were a lot of fascinating women where I would be begging for more information. I did however, really enjoy that there were a lot of supportive partners in each of these women's lives. Husbands, boyfriends, girlfriends, fathers, all cheering on their loved ones -- it really brought it home for me that even if you are a brilliant person, you cannot do it alone.

This book could be effectively summed up as "She would not be given her PhD, but after years of research, work and ground-breaking inventions, they gave it to her anyway, along with a Nobel Prize."

I'm happy I read this book and I really hope to read more like it. <3

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Headstrong.

August 1, 2016 – Shelved
August 1, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
August 1, 2016 – Shelved as: feminism
August 1, 2016 – Shelved as: non-fiction
September 4, 2017 –
page 0
0.0% "This book can be described as "The university refused to allow her to continue her PHD. Years later, they gave it to her after 50 publications and other breakthroughs."

Get it, ladies."