tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE's Reviews > The Place of Dead Roads

The Place of Dead Roads by William S. Burroughs

bookshelves: literature

On the cover Native American males + one 'white' guy (whatever the fuck that is) - all looking pretty illuminated from my seat. It reminds me of an excerpt from "Naked Scientology", one of the Burroughs bks I haven't listed here b/c I'm not sure I've read it entirely. In this excerpt, Burroughs defends things he's written about the Church of Scientology from a Church representative whose 'facts' against Burroughs are quoted:

7) Item: Wog
'Fact': A term not used by the Church. After all, all Scientologists were once non-Scientologists. I could see it being used to describe a person like Mr. Burroughs whose unwillingness to be honest has led him to spy on a Church.

FACT: I have heard Mr. Hubbard use the term Wog on tapes lectures. I have heard him define the term as a 'Worthy Oriental Gentleman'. I have seen bulletins that speak of the Wog World and Wog Law. As is well known, the term Wog has come to mean Non White. Mr. Sorrell could see it being used to describe a person like Mr. Burroughs? Thank you for that, Mr. Sorrell. I shoould be glad to change a color that has disgraced itself from the Conquistradores to Hiroshima.

Right on.. But did Burroughs ever get over his misogyny?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Place of Dead Roads.

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Brett Thornton Page 84 (at least with the UK version):

"Look at this picture from Tom's collection: the Indian and the one white are all related, by location: the end of the line..."

I think that's why there's that weird picture on the 1983 version of the book.