Laney's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Cursed Child: Parts One and Two

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by John Tiffany

liked it
Read 2 times. Last read July 31, 2016.

First of all, Scorpius is the delightful soul of my heart. lol Onto a more serious note. Like so many Harry Potter fans, I was in middle school when my English teacher first recommended the Harry Potter series to me. The first three books had been published in the previous years, and the fourth was about to come out. My best friend and I devoured through them and analyzed them lovingly, but critically. They are not, in my opinion, great works of fiction, but they ARE a delightfully fresh world. What makes Harry Potter such a global phenomenon is that it tells a very human story in a setting that is equal parts fantastic and horrifying. The other important thing to remember about the 7 Harry Potter stories is that they are entirely told on the perspective of Harry Potter, a boy who knows nothing of the wizarding world and to whom (like his innocent reader) everything is a new delight.

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child turns that original narrative structure on its head and asks the hard questions: what would it be like to grow up knowing about the Wizarding World? What would it be like to grow up in a post-Voldemort world, where things are much more complex than black-and-white evil and good? Most importantly, what would it be like to grow up as the son of the mythic Harry Potter, twice-vanquisher of the evilest evil ever known? What happens when Harry Potter has no more evil to hunt down? For Albus Severus Potter, those questions shape his reality. For him, Hogwarts is not the magically inclusive and delightful place it was for his father. The Cursed Child hones in on the idea of what it would mean to be a Luna Lovegood, or even (I would argue) a Draco Malfoy, in a place that emphasizes cooperation and character development.

Ultimately, this is a book about relationships. Friendships. Enemies. Parents and their children.

Things I loved (hidden for mild spoilers):
(view spoiler)

Things I thought were really poorly done and why I gave it 3 stars (hidden for major spoilers):
(view spoiler)

Overall, it was a fun read and I do recommend it to Potter fans.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.

Started Reading (Other Hardcover Edition)
July 30, 2016 – Finished Reading (Other Hardcover Edition)
July 31, 2016 – Started Reading
July 31, 2016 – Shelved
July 31, 2016 – Finished Reading
August 11, 2016 – Shelved (Other Hardcover Edition)