Alvaro Zinos-Amaro's Reviews > The Fifty-Year Mission: The Complete, Uncensored, Unauthorized Oral History of Star Trek-The First 25 Years

The Fifty-Year Mission by Edward Gross

M 50x66

liked it
bookshelves: read-2016, celebrating-trek-s-50th-anniversary

Hate to be a buzzkill with my meager three stars for this. Here's the deal: The content of this book is excellent. Must-read for anyone interested in the history of Trek. No doubt about it. But the lack of attributions referencing where each person's comments come from--the lack of sources, in other words--is hugely problematical. As is the fact that people's comments have been placed in a certain flow where the context reshapes their meaning; you have recent comments being followed by decades-old observations, live people intermixed with the dead, etc.. And no index of who speaks on what page, making it a hassle to try and go back to certain quotes. And no index of the people or episodes etc. being referenced *by* the speakers. For me those are huge omissions, sorry.

My full review here: http://www.intergalacticmedicineshow....
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fifty-Year Mission.

Started Reading
July 31, 2016 – Shelved
July 31, 2016 – Shelved as: read-2016
July 31, 2016 – Shelved as: celebrating-trek-s-50th-anniversary
July 31, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Denise Nader Me entusiasmé tanto cuando leí este libro que noté lo que dices de la falta de atribución de las fuentes y el contexto, pero no lo registré como negativo a la hora de reseñarlo; en parte, creo que porque lo escuché en versión audiolibro, y en parte porque estaba absorta en la historia. Ya un poco frío el tema, tienes toda la razón en lo que dices, y esa es una omisión editorialmente grave.

Alvaro Zinos-Amaro Denise wrote: "Me entusiasmé tanto cuando leí este libro que noté lo que dices de la falta de atribución de las fuentes y el contexto, pero no lo registré como negativo a la hora de reseñarlo; en parte, creo que ..."

It certainly has an incredible amount of information and behind-the-scenes insights :-)

I've parts of the second one, which covers my favorite part of Trek history (basically the 90s, what I think of as Trek's "Golden Age"), but not the whole thing. Have you?

Denise Nader I also bought and read the audiobook, it was better than the first one. It has more behind the scenes info (and gossip), but also a lot more in depth writers room methodology. I especially loved Ronald D. Moore bold start on Trek, and how they mention J. M. Straczynski relationship with Star Trek. Then, the whole DS9 "darker, grittier" trek and Voyager. Es una pasada, ¡espero que te guste! Y espero tus comentarios.

Alvaro Zinos-Amaro I must check it out then! And I think audiobook is probably the way to go, too, to make the whole thing come alive. By the way, I love the writer's room extras from the new remastered discs of TNG also.