Sarah L's Reviews > Punk 57

Punk 57 by Penelope Douglas

bookshelves: arc, favorite-authors, highly-anticipated, kept-me-up-all-night-reading, omg-love

"You're not alone. It gets better. You are important, and you can't be replaced."

I can honestly say that I was held hostage by Punk 57. From the moment I started the book to the very last page, I just couldn't put my kindle down. The story was captivating, the characters were real, and the message was powerful.

I've been an avid reader of Penelope's since Bully, which has remained a favorite of mine to this day. She's an author that I can count on to deliver a solid story full of angst and drama, love and hate, and - most importantly - characters that have depth.

While the synopsis for Punk 57 had me intrigued, this story delivered so much more than I was expecting.

Ryen and Misha were magnetic and I couldn't help but gravitate toward their characters. They were, at times, cruel in the games they would play with one another. But while they pushed and pulled and punished, they were actually helping each other to heal and become better versions of themselves. And it just so happens that they had an insane amount of chemistry that couldn’t be denied.

It also delivered a nice, healthy dose of reality. I honestly never thought about how lucky I was to have gone to school in a time before social media was a thing. If we weren't liked, if something embarrassing happened at school, we were able to escape it for the day once that final bell rang. But nowadays there are camera phones and facebook and avenues that allow bullies to bully 24/7.

High School can be a nightmare. Words are one of the most powerful tools we have and they are often used to bring others down. Most of the time it's met with silence because we're too afraid to be on the receiving end. To be seen as an outsider. The struggle was portrayed beautifully in Punk 57 and I couldn't have loved the end results more.

"Speak your mind, and you give others permission to do the same."

I seriously can't recommend this book enough. Dive into it no matter the time, lose a few hours of sleep, and nurse the book hangover that you'll be left with tomorrow. I promise you, it's worth it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Punk 57.

July 31, 2016 – Shelved
July 31, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
October 20, 2016 – Started Reading
October 20, 2016 –
15.0% "Man, this throws me back to high school. I'm loving Misha and I hope that Ryen becomes comfortable enough with herself that she can start standing up to those she calls "friends.""
October 20, 2016 –
22.0% ""But they're mean and everyone loves them. Why is that?"\n\nA question every kid has asked themselves at least once."
October 20, 2016 – Shelved as: arc