Brian Yahn's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Cursed Child: Parts One and Two

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by John Tiffany

J.K. Rowling could punch me in the face, and I'd still like it. The truth is, this isn't one of her stories, and it shows. For one, it's not even a book.

Regardless, the magic is here, and I like it just the same. The plot might be convoluted and crazy, but the world is magical enough for it to somehow work. It makes for all the thrills and mystery you come to expect from the Harry Potter universe.

Coming back to this series felt like returning to school after a long summer break. Although it takes place 19 years later, it seems to pick up right where the originals left off. Dumbledore returns as a moving painting, there's time-turners and polyjuice potion and sneaking around in invisibility cloaks and raids on the Ministry of Magic. It's silly yet serious, and filled with thrills and intrigue, and most of all fun.

But more than any of that, the Harry Potter universe is known for its characters, and in this installment, a couple more can now be mentioned with the best. Harry's son, Albus, is an outcast--everything Harry isn't, in a bad way, and the two struggle to relate until Albus becomes so isolated he starts falling down the same path that Voldemort did. And then there's Draco's son, always around, leading Albus down the wrong path, bringing up bad-blood from the past, and helping Albus make monstrous mistakes--all while having a personality that's sure to win you over.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.

July 31, 2016 – Shelved
July 31, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
August 2, 2016 – Started Reading
August 3, 2016 –
71.0% "Maybe it's just been a while since the originals, but it feels like coming back to school after the summer, like picking up right where you left off. Hope it keeps up all the way to the end."
August 3, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

Hiroto It's super fast to read. Enjoy !

✧nicole✧ It's wonderful - I just finished it, and I'm crying happy tears :)

Vaneesha LMAO @ "JK Rowling could punch me in the face, and I'd still like it" that's a fantastic way to start a review, glad you enjoyed this!

Alexandra I don't agree with you saying Scorpius is leading Albus down the wrong paths. I feel like Albus did it to Scorpius to be honest. It's Draco and Harry that bring up bad blood. I believe Scorpius is actually a really good soul, to the point of where I enjoyed him more than Albus :). Just my opinion :).

Brian Yahn Alexandra wrote: "I don't agree with you saying Scorpius is leading Albus down the wrong paths. I feel like Albus did it to Scorpius to be honest. It's Draco and Harry that bring up bad blood. I believe Scorpius is ..."

Hey Alexandra, I totally agree that Scorpius is good, but what makes his character particularly interesting to the story, I think, is that--along with Harry--the audience/reader is suppose to suspect the rumors about Scorpius really are true.

Juliana Pesamino I agree with Alexandra.
But I totally understand what you mean Brian, with the audience suspecting the rumors of Scorpius to be true, but I never even thought they were. Scorpius just off the bat seems like a gentle and kind soul. He's my fav in this playwright :)

Rachel Aranda Excellent review!