Fionnuala's Reviews > A Passage to India

A Passage to India by E.M. Forster

bookshelves: forster

So easy going - and then wham!
Quentin Tarantino could learn a lot from E M Forster. He'd learn that there's no need to pile on the menace in the early stages. The shock, when it comes is much more effective if the reader/viewer has been led into thinking all is ordinary and relatively safe. Forster is a master story teller, and a true philosopher as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Passage to India.

Started Reading
April 1, 2011 – Finished Reading
May 27, 2011 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)

message 1: by Yann (new) - added it

Yann Revue courte mais signifiante! Je suis piqué par la curiosité. Merci Fionnuala.

message 2: by Fionnuala (new) - added it

Fionnuala Merci Yann.

message 3: by Jan-Maat (new) - added it

Jan-Maat Yes, that ability to change the tone abruptly, just in one character's response to another, is really impressive

message 4: by Fionnuala (new) - added it

Fionnuala A very early review, Jan-Maat - and I'd clearly just given up on Tarantino.
But inglorious basterds converted me back in the meantime...

Sketchbook The Tartine could even learn fr Al Capp !

message 6: by Fionnuala (new) - added it

Fionnuala Sketchbook wrote: "The Tartine could even learn fr Al Capp !"

Thanks, Sketch - I just discovered the meta world of Al Capp!

Sketchbook Off subj : I find the new GR settings a fright. When you're on HOME page and click "cont reading" (for more info), the click (return HOME) takes you to start -- again -- of HOME ...ie, not where you left off...is this just me, or do you have same. I contacted GR... In sum, it takes a 1/2 hr to go through HOME page now, I havent the inclination.

Hanneke Short and clear review! Yes, great book!

Sketchbook Yes, great book and a clear, concise review.

message 10: by Fionnuala (new) - added it

Fionnuala Hanneke wrote: "Short and clear review! Yes, great book!"

Sketchbook wrote: "Yes, great book and a clear, concise review."

Thanks, both. Should I go back to writing clear and concise reviews? Nah, I've lost the desire to be 'clear and concise' and prefer, like the new goodreads homepage, to alternatively confuse and bemuse. The only thing I haven't done yet is work the book blurb into the review, but goodreads has done that for me, gratis.
I think that's what may be confusing you, Sketch. When you click on 'continue reading', it's the blurb that you will continue reading. The link to go to the review page is at the very top of the review box, and easy to miss. But if you do click it to go to the review page, and then click the back button, you will be back in the place in the list of updates you were in when you clicked. You can also click 'more' and stay on the homepage but get to read the full review. You've probably figured all this out already;-)

Sketchbook Thanks, Fionnuala....I will study your reply. No, I hadnt figured it out...but this is just me... (I hate computer stuff).

Hanneke Sketch, I don't like the new settings either, but I guess it will be alright. People alway seem to find it necessary to make adjustments in lay-outs and design regardless whether the changes are pleasant or not.

message 13: by Fionnuala (new) - added it

Fionnuala Sketchbook wrote: "Thanks, Fionnuala....I will study your reply. No, I hadnt figured it out...but this is just me... (I hate computer stuff)."

Good luck :-)

message 14: by Seemita (new) - added it

Seemita Fionnuala wrote: "Thanks, both. Should I go back to writing clear and concise reviews? Nah, I've lost the desire to be 'clear and concise' and prefer, like the new goodreads homepage, to alternatively confuse and bemuse."

The comment of the week for me! ;)

message 15: by Fionnuala (new) - added it

Fionnuala Hanneke wrote: "Sketch, I don't like the new settings either, but I guess it will be alright. People alway seem to find it necessary to make adjustments in lay-outs and design.."

It's more than that though, Hanneke - it's about selling the books more aggressively than before. Our more meaningful but less superlative reviews are eclipsed by the super positive book blurb which now appears every time a book gets mentioned even if it's simply being added to someone's shelf. We can subvert this a little by unticking everything in our settings except reviews so that if we add a book or finish a book or simply assign stars, it won't appear in the updates. You probably do that already but it would help all our homepages if we all did it - unless of course we like seeing all these blurbs over and over....

message 16: by Fionnuala (new) - added it

Fionnuala Seemita wrote: "Fionnuala wrote: "Thanks, both. Should I go back to writing clear and concise reviews? Nah, I've lost the desire to be 'clear and concise', and prefer, like the new goodreads homepage, to alternatively confuse and bemuse..."

The comment of the week for me! ;)

Hah! Clear and concise response, Seemita!

Sketchbook It's all-American...that is, About Money !

message 18: by Trish (new)

Trish You shld probably tweet this review 2 said filmmaker...

message 19: by Fionnuala (new) - added it

Fionnuala Trish wrote: "You shld probably tweet this review 2 said filmmaker..."

...and have him set the reservoir dogs on me?
It's true I really didn't like him for a long stretch but Inglorious Basterds redeemed him a little - though my admiration for that movie owed a lot to Christoph Walz. I really like Christoph Walz.

Sketchbook Alas, the Great Walz is now typecast.

message 21: by Trish (new)

Trish Fionnuala wrote: "...and have him set the reservoir dogs on me?

In person he can be so confident as to seem pompous, but he has a wonderfully creative mind and likes pushing boundaries...

message 22: by Fionnuala (new) - added it

Fionnuala Sketchbook wrote: "Alas, the Great Walz is now typecast."

Yes, Walz makes me think of SS man Landa whenever I see him. Hard to shake off that image.

message 23: by Fionnuala (new) - added it

Fionnuala Trish wrote: "In person he can be so confident as to seem pompous.. .."

message 24: by Trish (new)

Trish Fionnuala wrote: "I'm sitting here imagining that you've met him, and thinking, I'm glad it was you and not me;-)"

Nah. Let's get that misconception out of the way. I wrote it improperly. Since seeing some of his films, I sought out an interview or two, or didn't turn him off when he came on. I listened pretty intently to try and figure out where he is coming from. He is a little like, what do we call it, someone with Tourette's. He seems pretty narrowly focused, and it is hard to picture him with a woman (I mean a real woman) but he has talent.

Hanneke Yes, Fionnuala, you are right regarding the new lay-out! It is disgusting how book blurbs are added now and especially the Oprah Winfrey one appearing under your books. I tried to untick them, but Oprah still is showing up. I am not looking forward to have her popping up every time I open GR!

message 26: by Fionnuala (new) - added it

Fionnuala A stray ‘like’ for this review just now led me to your unanswered comment, Hanneke. The Goodreads Gods must have heard our imprecations about Oprah. She disappeared soon after!

Hanneke Good to hear. You don't want anyone lurking around your books!