Clare's Reviews > A Room of One's Own

A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf

May 27, 2011

Read from February 17 to 21, 2012

This is not a book I feel quite up to the job of reviewing in depth. I found it really interesting and as always I really enjoyed Virginia Woolf's writing, her wit and beauty are so perfect.
The book wasn't what I was really expecting although I'm not sure what that was. It is obviously a very important book and says many things that nobody seems to have been able to say so clearly and interestingly before or even since.
I would class this as completely neccessary reading for anyone who enjoys reading or writing.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Room of One's Own.

Quotes Clare Liked

Virginia Woolf
“Lock up your libraries if you like; but there is no gate, no lock, no bolt that you can set upon the freedom of my mind.”

Virginia Woolf
“...who shall measure the heat and violence of a poet's heart when caught and tangled in a woman's body?”
Virginia Woolf, A Room of One's Own

So long as you write what you wish to write, that is all that matters;
“So long as you write what you wish to write, that is all that matters; and whether it matters for ages or only for hours, nobody can say.”

Virginia Woolf
“Anon, who wrote so many poems without signing them, was often a woman.”

02/17/2012 page 29
show 3 hidden updates…

Clare I'm enjoying it enormously! She is just one of the best writers, I'm in awe! I recommend!

Clare Brief and to the point! Hope you enjoy it, I really think you will!

Clare Yes I think that was what surprised me too Elizabeth. I so much enjoyed reading this lecture wrapped up in so many stories and annecdotes and such beautiful writing.