Pallak's Reviews > The Sialkot Saga

The Sialkot Saga by Ashwin Sanghi

Jul 30, 2016

liked it

It's the first time I am not certain whether I liked any book or not. Usually, it's either "a hit" or "a flop", "A great book" or "A poorly written book". Clear black and white. But with The Sialkot Saga, well, I am utterly inconclusive.

OK, let me try explaining what I thought about this 560 pages long book.

The Sialkot Saga is a story of two protagonists who are born into two different families, and brought up in different cultures as they belong to different religious backgrounds. However, both of them are as intelligent, shrewd, strong, and courageous as one another.

Throughout the story, I was going through only one thought "How can anything and everything happen in the lives of these two people?" From World Trade Center attack, the Taj attack, the Harshad Mehta scam, to murders, deaths, same same lovers, infidelity et cetera et cetera. It seemed like the writer was trying to put each and every major incident in the world of history into the lives of his protagonists, which came across as unrealistic to me.

The parts where they con others, make fool of them are interesting, clever and funny. The BEST PART is the epilogue- superbly written.

Well, I would end the review by saying that the book did not live up to my expectations. I would rate it 3 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sialkot Saga.

July 5, 2016 – Started Reading