Debra's Reviews > Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver

Jul 30, 2016

bookshelves: foodie-reads

I was first introduced to Barbara Kingsolver with her novel Animal Dreams. Way back in 1990 one of my best friends from college sent it to me in a Christmas care package. I devoured it.

One of the many things I was taken with in this novel was the depiction of Día de Muertos. I had never heard of this holiday and I could not imagine families picnicking upon their ancestors’ graves, eating, drinking and having a merry old time. Creepy, huh?

As I have learned more about this holiday, I continue to be fascinated. Maybe it is because I am more knowledgeable or maybe it is because I am older, but I find this to be a joyous holiday and one that everyone should recognize if not celebrate.

Animal Dreams prompted me to pick up Kingsolver’s other novels: The Bean Trees, Pigs in Heaven, The Poisonwood Bible, Prodigal Summer and Lacuna.

When I learned that she had written Animal, Vegetable, Miracle I added it to my list. It was actually The Hubs who brought this book to my attention. Facing a long trip to visit relatives in Colorado, we needed something to keep us occupied across the barrenness of Kansas and I-70. I checked out the audio book from the library. We were hooked.

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle actually became the catalyst behind my blog and a new way of living for us. Yes, we might have strayed a lot from our initial plan, but we still grow a lot of food in our gardens and buy from local farmers as much as possible. Barbara, we are your converts.

I enjoyed Barbara's voice and her essays much more than the preachier ones that were interspersed throughout (mostly by her husband, but some from her daughter as well). I will say that the recipes included are fantastic, though.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle.

Started Reading