Anita's Reviews > My Lady Jane

My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand

3202140
Jul 30, 2016

Another winner that I got from Owlcrate - which if you've never heard of I encourage you to look up! Owlcrate is one of those monthly boxes where not only do you get a book every month, but also book related goodies in the form of things like jewelry, art, and/or bookmarks. I purchased two, myself, and loved both of them. The boxes are $30 each, plus shipping, and are a lovely treat if you're able to do it!

What I Loved: This book was full of humor, both from the characters as well as the narrators, aka the authors, who interject their commentary now and then. It is a very light hearted read, but also an entertaining story. My favorite character is probably King Edward's grandma - who had wonderfully witty, elder-ish type things to say. The entire cast was perfect though.

The relationship between Jane and Gifford was so fun! They had a rocky start full of miscommunication and half-truths, however they always fell back to their friendly, if not flirtatious, banter and self consciousness (from both sides).

All humor aspects of this book aside (and there is plenty...I mean, many of these characters turn into animals...so yeah), there is a great story-line here too. Just like any book involving the royal court, there are game players, and tyrant leaders, and of course kingdoms usurpers.

Not so Much: I loved this story, but I do kind of wish there were a few surprises sprinkled in. I was pretty much able to predict, or make a pretty logical guess about what was going to happen the entire way through. It did take me a while to finish this book - MOSTLY because I'm busy, and the kids are going back to school, etc., etc., but partly I think it also had to do with not being completely sucked in - no mystery or something like that.

The Verdict: I've given this book 5 stars. It was very well written, and entertaining. Extremely age appropriate. In fact, I've recommended that my 11 year old daughter pick it up, as I believe she will really enjoy it (even if they use the word "consummate" **gasp** ;) ).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Lady Jane.

July 30, 2016 – Started Reading
July 30, 2016 – Shelved
July 30, 2016 –
page 90
18.33% "I got this in June's OwlCrate - I really need to sign back up for the box, because I've gotten two great books from them, and I didn't have to think about whether I'd get the book or not!"
August 12, 2016 – Finished Reading