Arlene's Reviews > Burn Bright

Burn Bright by Marianne de Pierres

bookshelves: read-2011, ya-dystopic, aussie, young-adult
Recommended to Arlene by: Street Corner Bookers - Nomes
Recommended for: YA Dystopic Fans

Imagine a place where there are no elders, no rules, no punishment; only music, laughter and freedom. Welcome to Ixion! Island of ever-night, ever-youth and never-sleep. BURN BRIGHT! This is the place where modesty is kin to sin and baby bats run to in search of pleasure. But remember, when you live in darkness, you also live with creatures of the dark.

Woah! What a creeptastic book in the best possible way!

Burn Bright definitely commands your attention from page one as Marianne de Pierres takes you on a journey filled with bizarre twists, sinister settings, and uniquely subtle characters. I found myself captivated as I traveled an undefined time and place along the paths of Ixion leaving me continually on the edge of my seat.

This book is a definite contender for top-spot among note-worthy ya-dystopic novels that deserve a captive audience! Now if only US Publishers will start picking up these worthy books and making them available to us avid readers so we don’t have to scour the net and pay hefty shipping prices in order to own these little gems, but I digress…

As I mentioned, the setting is so completely vivid that it just feels dark and sinister as you turn the corners and walk down dark paths with the cast of this book. The characters are carefully crafted that it’s impossible not to fall for them, but simultaneously wonder what their hidden agendas might be. Retra was a worthy main character as her journey throughout the book was one of growth, constant challenge and increasingly bold moves. Markes and Lenior added a good balance to the mix of intriguing characters where they all played equally vital roles none commanding the stage more than others.

Marianne de Pierres cleverly adds several moving parts such as established gangs, including the White Wings, Freaks, Ghosts and League who oppose the Ripers (or Guardians) that are in place to protect the baby bats. There is also the Youth Circle which somewhat serves as the judicial system within Ixion, but isn’t highly trusted by the inhabitants especially the gangs. Lastly, there are the outlaws headed by Ruzalia, who execute rescue missions for the inhabitants on the verge of being faded out of the system. All very clever and unique, which provides for constant surprises and twists.

Now the writing.. What can I say that I haven’t said before about Aussie writers? They come from this mystical land filled with magical water or food… maybe it’s the vegemite. I don’t know. But it goes without saying, their writing sets them apart and their prose is elegantly crafted. I can’t for the life of me figure out how so many Aussie writers so seamlessly dominate the literary world with their fantastical stories! Unlike vegemite, though, their books are easy on the palate and leave you craving for more. They feel completely real and full of depth and Burn Bright is no exception.

I will warn you now, this story grabs your attention from the beginning, so if you start this book late into the evening, you’ll likely be pulling an all-nighter. So, take the journey to Ixion, it’s well worth the adventure.

Thanks to my Street Corner Booker friend Nomes for rec’ing this story to me. I can’t wait for the next installment!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Burn Bright.

Quotes Arlene Liked

Marianne de Pierres
“In Ixion music and party are our only beliefs. Darkness is our comfort. We have few rules but they are absolute. Your endocrine systems have been altered by changes to your hypothalamus. You no longer need to sleep or see sunlight.”
Marianne de Pierres, Burn Bright

May 26, 2011 – Shelved
July 3, 2011 – Started Reading
July 5, 2011 –
page 137
43.35% "Curiouser and curiouser..."
July 5, 2011 – Finished Reading
July 6, 2011 – Shelved as: read-2011
July 6, 2011 – Shelved as: ya-dystopic
July 22, 2011 – Shelved as: aussie
March 4, 2013 – Shelved as: young-adult

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)

Milly enjoy Arlene...where ever you are!

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Great review Arlene. This amateur is so eager to read a book written by an Aussie.

Arlene Thanks JjJAnna! I've already committed this book as a give away for my bookers, but if you see something else on my shelf just let me know and I'll check to see if I have it. :)

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Aren't you a sweetie, thank you. I GR friend turned me on to a site that ships from Australia. There seems to be so many good ones and I have gotten some recs of a few amazing writers just don't know where to start. I wish I had one in hand today I would start it tonight. Having trouble deciding what in the world to read next.

Crystal Awesome review! I think your reviews are getting better and better =) I am so glad that you liked it!

Arlene @ JjJAnna. You're welcome. :) Yes, those Aussie book sites can be pretty dangerous. I have two books en route to me right now. :P I'm pretty sure you can find Melina Marchetta in our local bookstores. She's one of my fave. I also think you can get Beatle Meets Destiny at most larger libs. Hope you find something you enjoy. :)

@ Crystal. Thankies! Awww, that's very sweet of you. After so many, I start to feel like I repeat myself. LOL I definitely enjoyed it. :)

message 7: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic I told you it is the vegemite! Another amazing review Arlene :)

Arlene LOL It's the vegemite... I'm convinced. :D

Thanks Nic. :)

Arlene @JjJAnna... it's an Australian snack that seems to require an acquired taste. I've personally tried it and swear to GAWD it made my eyes smart... oh and I couldn't swallow it. Here's a common reaction among Americans. :P

Arlene Oops! JjJ Anna, I deleted your post by accident. Anywho, I answered you above. ^

message 11: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic LOL. That video is too funny. I have vegemite pretty much every day :)

Arlene Nic you have a palate of STEEL!!

message 13: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Haha. Seriously my Mum use to put it in my veges when I was baby. I had no choice but to love it :)

Arlene I think that's the only way to acquire the necessary taste. LOL I have a vivid recollection of what that tasted like. >.<

message 15: by Nomes (last edited Jul 06, 2011 08:50PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nomes wOOT! so glad you loved it.

and you wrote (another) amazing review. it's a very vivid review to match the book :D

and am definitely sending the next one over for you guys <3

(all the bookers have loved it so far ~ all 4 and 5 stars. hope Milly loves it next)

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Arlene thanks for the video LMAO!!! Now I have to try it if I ever come across it. It sorta reminds me of Nutella (sp) however I haven't seen people have the same reaction. The first guy's entire body turned red. LOL

@Nic you eat it everyday? Certainly an acquired taste like anchovies perhaps? BTW read your review of The DUFF when figuring out what to read after HG so I gave it a try. Can I say OMG LOVED IT! I could have easily read in one sitting had I not had to get some sleep for work.

message 17: by Arlene (last edited Jul 07, 2011 08:28AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Arlene @ Nomes. Thank you! I can't wait to read the next installment. I wish it were easier to get these books over here, but we sure appreciate our Aussie Booker Angels. :D

@ JjJAnna. You're welcome. Thought you'd appreciate that one. :P It's pretty funny IMO. Oh and I must read DUFF soon!

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko You so need to read it! It was just what I needed after HG. Nic has a flawless review of the book made me sprint to my room to get it. LOL I need to review, just posted my HG review. Do you have a blog page?

Arlene Yeah, Nic writes some pretty awesome reviews. I will definitely read it. I have it sitting on my shelf.

No, I don't have a blog page, just my messings around here on GR. If I did have a blog, I'd call myself The Lazy Reviewer/ ;)

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Well although that is a great name for a page I would say it is quite a contradiction. LOL You should consider it. Not to boost your big ego, JK, but you write great reviews. What is your grown up work?

On a diff note you need to get your GR friend Kim reading again. She has written some of the funniest reviews I have ever read. I stumbled upon one when I first got on GR and had to follow her. She is a TRIP. I am willing to send her any book I can to get her back in the book world again.

Arlene LOL I was being snarky with my Lazy Reviewer comment. I was recently called that by a pissed off author for one of my not-so-glowing reviews of her book. Fun stuff... XD HA! Thanks for boosting than quickly deflating my ego. :P I don't think a blog is for me. Too much work and to tell you the truth, I'm just not that creative. I've seen some pretty awesome blogs and amazing posts that require talent and a ton of wit. I don't think I can pull that off. GR is enough for me at the moment.

Do you have a blog?

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Funny Arlene, I am not totally in the loop on everything so I didn't know about the Author saying that about you.... WOW some nerve. I so admire the blog pages people set up and continually maintain however I don't have time for it either. My kiddos, especially my 4 year old are pretty challenging for me at the moment. There just isn't enough time in the day plus if you haven't figured it out already I have the worlds WORST grammar and spelling.... Okay now let me see what I can do to boost your ego I will have to think about this one... tehehe

message 23: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic @ Arlene - The author tweeted your review for this. You are famous again but in a good way :)

@ Jojo-Jo Ann- Awww thanks for the kind words. I am glad you enjoyed The Duff. And vegemite is like what peanut butter is to you guys over there. Most Australian's love it :)

Crystal Woohoo congratulations Arlene! That is so awesome!!

Arlene Wow! That's so cool! I'm going to go check it out. :D

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Congrats woman you are a big deal around here... tehehehe :=)

Arlene HA! Thanks JjJAnna. Oh and on the bid deal bit... errr... most definitely NOT! :)

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko There is no need for modesty.. LOL

Arlene ~blushes~

message 30: by Lora (last edited Jul 08, 2011 12:15PM) (new)

Lora Nic wrote: "@ Arlene - The author tweeted your review for this. You are famous again but in a good way :)

Wow . . . big deal indeed. :)

Arlene @ Lora, you know Crystal got tweeted too for this one! Okay that sounds a bit pervy but you know what I mean. :D

message 32: by Lora (last edited Jul 08, 2011 12:35PM) (new)

Lora Arlene wrote: "@ Lora, you know Crystal got tweeted too for this one! Okay that sounds a bit pervy but you know what I mean. :D"

LOL If I'm somehow ever lucky enough to get one of my reviews tweeted by the author, I'll probably have an apoplexy.

Arlene You deserve it Lora... Not the apoplexy... the tweet. :)

message 34: by Lora (new)

Lora Arlene wrote: "You deserve it Lora... Not the apoplexy... the tweet. :)"

Ha! *blushes* Well, thanks, but for me tweet = apoplexy. ;)

Arlene Well then, I hope you land on something soft when you get your tweet. :)

message 36: by Crystal (last edited Jul 08, 2011 03:40PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Crystal Arlene wrote: "@ Lora, you know Crystal got tweeted too for this one! Okay that sounds a bit pervy but you know what I mean. :D"

LOL! I think it is awesome that we both got tweeted XD

I am crossing my fingers for you Lora =)

Arlene Me too Lora. ~crosses fingers~

Milly This review has made you famous once again Arlene! Wonderful review as always friend!

Arlene Thanks Milly. I think what the author did was pretty cool. Glad you enjoyed it too. :)

Milly Arlene wrote: "Thanks Milly. I think what the author did was pretty cool. Glad you enjoyed it too. :)"

Absolutely. Definitely looking forward to the sequel!

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Aussies just have that something that makes them such great authors, and US/(and CA) publishers really just are not aware of it- *shakes of head*.
And awesome review, Arlene!

Arlene Thanks Leanne. :) Well hopefully we'll give them enough buzz that the US publishers will start to pick these books up. There really is something amazing about these books.