Katharine's Reviews > The Whim of the Dragon

The Whim of the Dragon by Pamela Dean

bookshelves: childrens-lit, fantasy, favorites

The Whim of the Dragon by Pamela Dean is the third and final book in the Secret Country Trilogy--and a deeply satisfying conclusion to a complex and engaging story. The story follows five cousins whose imaginary country has become suddenly and disconcertingly real. As they realize they can no longer control and shape events as they could in their game, they struggle with how to do the right thing and behave honorably to their imaginary characters, now real people with real relationships.

To explain much about the plot of the third book would give too much away about the plots of the first two. I can only say that the action is suspenseful and the conclusion wraps up the myriad loose ends very well. The five children mature and develop each in different ways, and the ending leaves each of them with a fitting role to play in the future. It's the kind of ending that leaves you reluctant to put the book down, the kind of ending that makes you want to write fanfiction. In fact, I think it's the whole trilogy, the outstanding writing, the absorbing complexity, that has the effect, not just the ending. The characters are going to be inhabiting my head for some time, I can tell. I keep thinking about them and the world Dean created.

Need I say, please, please, find these books at your library or buy them from Amazon. They may be hard to find but you will not be disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Whim of the Dragon.

Started Reading