C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Problem with Forever

The Problem with Forever by Jennifer L. Armentrout

bookshelves: 4-star, contemporary, read-2016, young-adult

(UGH I'M SO MAD my review deleted before it could upload and it was a freakishly great review too.)

Excuse me but THIS BOOK JUST BROKE MY HEART IN THE BEST POSSIBLE WAY. I loved it, I so so loved it. It just had aaall the right things, like delicious food, tons of diversity, adorable tragic damaged cinnamon roll characters, and a bit of bleeding (ALL THE GOOD BOOKS HAVE A BIT O' BLOOD) and did I mention I'm feeling all the things??? BECAUSE I AM. This book definitely won me over omg.

Wow...just wow oh wow. I would totally give this 4.5-stars if goodreads did half stars (curse you goodreads for not GIVING US HALF STAR OPTIONS)

Mallory was an amazingly complex and winning protagonist. She's been horrible abused in a foster-care-home for most of her life, and only got adopted at 13 by really loving people. Then she was homeschooled and now, for some bizarre reason, she's going to highschool. Like, I love ya, Mallory, BUT HOMESCHOOLINGFTW. (#HomeschoolerGraduate ahem) She also has a lot of trouble speaking. It's partially social anxiety, but partially because of the abuse she received as a kid whenever she made a sound. She's been conditioned to silence, basically. MY HEART BLEEDS FOR HER. She feels stuck and she doesn't want to be this way and she TRIES SO HARD. She's just relatable and awesome, basically.

And then there is the precious cupcake: Rider Stark. He was Mallory's foster brother, but they haven't seen each other in like 4 or 5 years. And BOOM. He's at the same highschool. THEY HAVE SO MUCH CHEMISTRY AND HISTORY TOGETHER. Like, the feelings, not the school subjects. Because pfft, school, who has time for that anyway. I absolutely loved Rider. He has the slightly bad-boy-with-heart-of-gold thing going on WHICH I ADORE. <3 He's very damaged emotionally, but kind of doesn't even notice it of himself? He's super artistic. SO ARTISTIC OMG. And he is just all around precious. I love the complexity of his relationship with Mallory and how they faaaaall for each other.

[aggressively ships them]

I also loved all the diversity! Mallory's adoptive parents are Latino (I think) and Rider is half Puerto Rican, and most of the secondary characters are POC too!

The writing is just absolutely delicious...and addictive! THE STORY IS ADDICTIVE. I mean, it's not entirely original, but it was beautifully and poignantly done. It's 500-pages and I read it in one day?! SO THERE'S THAT.

I love love loved all the food too, omg. And I had delicious quotes saved BEFORE THE FREAKING REVIEW DELETED ITSELF *sobbing* So just imagine me describing cheesy enchiladas and ice cream escapades and you've got the idea of how glorious this book is.

And I'm so intensely a fan of how complex all the characters were. For me, characters are the #1 reason I adore a book. I JUST NEED THEM TO BE GREAT. They were here!! Even the secondary characters shone in just a few paragraphs. Love love love.

OTHER GLORIOUS THINGS:
• There are such beautiful quotes about being shy/quiet but still loving yourself for you who you are
• There is a bit of banter (not a ton, but it is good)
• THERE IS ART I LOVE ART
• The cover is so gorgeous, I think that needs mentioning
• The romance is ajfdksalfdj everything basically.
• Oh and .... at one point it kind of RIPPED OUT MY HEART AND STOMPED ON IT. So there's that.

...okay but there were a few things I'm emphatically not a fan of. So let's get to it.

D I S L I K E S:
It was tooooo looooong. At 500-pages? Hmm, no. I mean, it did develop the relationships beautifully and complexly. But it definitely dragged when the only things going down where (A) character development, and (B) school.
Too much emphasis on physical beauty. Everyone was drop dead GORGEOUS. I mean, okay. Fine. But everyone???? I like the pretty and the shiny, I DO, but it felt very over-described at times. If I have to hear how handsome Rider is one more time....well. LET ME JUST STAB SOMETHING WITH A SPORK.
I hate how it underlines the fact boys and girls "can't be friends. It seemed to have a huge agenda with this message and I just??? Why???? Everyone was constantly after Rider about "how will his girlfriend feel" if he talks to Mallory. I mean, whut. Obviously this is complicated by the fact Rider/Mallory DO END UP LIKING EACH OTHER (not really a spoiler; because it's super obvious) but it was just insufferable how every time Rider even smiled at Mallory she was thinking "oh but his girlfriend would be mad and has every right to be". No, actually. A relationship shouldn't equal owning another person. If it's that flimsy, I dare say it's not really a relationship.
It was a bit predictable. Maybe I've just read too much?? But I 100% didn't get any surprises at all.

ALL IN ALL: This was such a good book and it honestly stole a corner of my heart. I am such a magnet to books about tragically abused and suffering characters who need my love. THEY GET ALL MY LOVE. The character development and complexity just shone the whole time. So did the love of enchiladas, bless them. I'm absolutely in love with Rider. It took Mallory a while to figure it out BUT I KNEW FROM THE GET-GO, SO POINTS TO ME. And I love love love the message of believing in yourself and your own worth because it's so important and it's such a relatable message/topic.

HELP ME I'M FEELING THINGS AGAIN.

If you haven't read this book YOU NEED TO. I can see it in your eyes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Problem with Forever.

July 29, 2016 – Shelved
July 29, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
August 1, 2016 – Started Reading
August 1, 2016 –
page 102
21.52% "I had a suspicion this'd be a good book.\n I 10000% confirmed it after they rewarded themselves for surviving a day of socialising WITH ICE CREAM."
August 2, 2016 –
page 402
84.81% "That's okay....I DIDN'T LIKE MY HEART IN ONE PIECE ANYWAY."
August 2, 2016 – Shelved as: 4-star
August 2, 2016 – Shelved as: contemporary
August 2, 2016 – Shelved as: read-2016
August 2, 2016 – Shelved as: young-adult
August 2, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

Firefly asdfghjkl it sounds wonderful. I'm just about to get it out at the library ^-^

C.G. Drews @Firefly: omg I hope you love it too!! *flails*

message 3: by Nikita (new) - added it

Nikita the bookworm Looks Really good!

Heather I felt exactly the same way as you with this book!! Except you wrote a perfect review where mine was simply OMG, I love it! Lol. Its a beautiful review, Cait!

message 5: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie  Hanna I HAAAAAAAAAAAAVE TO READ THIS. SERIOUSLY. SOMEBODY GIVE ME A COPY RIGHT RIGHT NOW.

(I'm not kidding. I need more books like this in my life.)

message 6: by Zoe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zoe #BookishTwinsStrikeAgain xD

Ashley Elliott Oh my gosh, I need to read this for research purposes (one of my characters has selective mutism)

C.G. Drews @Nikita: IT IS BRILLIANCE.

@Heather: Bahahhah. Trust me, I wanted to just OMGGGGG continually as well. xD

@Jessica: DUDE YOU DO NEED IT. RIGHT NOW. I PROMISE.

C.G. Drews @Zoe: You are 100% of the reason I libraried this. xD I knew I'd like it after your review!!

@Ashley: Ohhh yes do read it! And if you want another excellent book on selective mutism, try The Things I Didn't Say. SO SO GOOD TOO.

madalyn ( polaroid books ) I went to the library and I saw this book RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME! I was going to get it, but it felt like my bag weighed a hundred pounds. :D

Stephanie I loved this, too!!! ♡♡♡

message 12: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia Looks like this is getting added to the ever-growing TBR. Great review!

Rachel's Book Reviews I sobbed like a little bitch at the end.

message 14: by July (new) - added it

July C. B I want to read it NOW. It seems beautiful♥ (and that cover is gorgeous). Great review!

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

It was 500-pages. I read this one day? UM WAT JUST HAPPENED