Theresa's Reviews > Blankets

Blankets by Craig Thompson

Mar 05, 2008

bookshelves: art, fiction
Recommended for: anyone who loves art or anyone who wants to read a good love story.
Read in March, 2008

** spoiler alert ** This is the first graphic novel I've picked up since my days of Japanese manga in high school. I admit I was attracted by the cover art at Barnes and Noble, but then, this is graphic novel, so I don't feel too bad admitting I chose to read this book based on its cover.

I haven't felt so attached to a character in a while, as I did to Craig. His struggles to find himself amidst being an outcast, high parental expectations, and trying to carve his own path in a world where everyone else seems to have an opinion about him. What especially captured my heart was the development (and eventual deterioration) of his relationship with Raina. I could identify with many of his emotions and thoughts, perhaps he was able to hit a bone with those who've had a first love as a young person (or perhaps anyone who's fallen in love, really). The consumption of love was brilliantly enhanced with his vivid drawings--I sometimes found myself flipping back a page just to gaze once more on a panel and take every detail in.

Indeed, I fell in love with this book. I found the conclusion quietly satisfying, though a bit of my mind lingers and wonders, what happened to Raina?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blankets.