Jessica Powell's Reviews > Romantic Outlaws: The Extraordinary Lives of Mary Wollstonecraft and Her Daughter Mary Shelley

Romantic Outlaws by Charlotte Gordon

When this popped up in my recommended reads I knew Wollstonecraft vaguely through her writings, Shelley for Frankenstein, and I'd never felt the urge to delve deeper. But the blurb drew me in and I'm so glad it did. This double biography of mother and daughter alternates lives by chapter - not universally popular, I know, but one of my favourite literary devices - and gives particular focus to the huge influence the former had on the latter, for all that they scarcely met each other.

Both women were fascinating; they broke conventions, defied expectations, and helped to change the world forever. I felt so angry at the injustice of how they were treated by society, and how long it actually took for women to be able to live the life they dreamed of without censure. I cried at their tragedies, and I laughed at some of the completely outrageous behaviour. This is a gripping read which I didn't want to end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Romantic Outlaws.

Started Reading