JD's Reviews > This is Where I Leave You

This is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper

May 26, 2011

I read How to Talk to a Widower several months ago and enjoyed it so much that I bought this book. This was even better than the first book. I am a huge fan of family comedies and this book really delivers. The main character, Judd, has a father who is not that religious. However, his mother tells him and his siblings that his father's last wish was that they sit shiva for him. This is the Jewish mourning ceremony that lasts for seven days. The problem is that they are stuck in the house they grew up in with their siblings and their respective wives and girlfriends - and everyone doesn't really get along.

The family baggage, and every family has baggage but this family makes it an Olympic sport, unfolds over the seven days. The characters in this book are amazing and the dialogue is spot-on. You can hear the voices and they seem genuine despite the sometimes crazy things that are said and done. It was a wonderful read and I'm looking through Tropper's back-list right now looking for another gem.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This is Where I Leave You.

May 26, 2011 – Shelved