AJ's Reviews > Off Limits

Off Limits by Lola Darling

liked it
bookshelves: enemies-to-lovers, romantic, steamy, arc

“A fire this intense . . . can it really burn that hot forever?”

3.5 smart, sexy, chemistry-filled stars

OK, I totally admit that it was the cover that first grabbed my attention about this book. Look at it! OMG, just look at it! *wipes drool*. Then I read the synopsis – a workplace enemies-to-lovers romance with a cocky, arrogant hero, a smart and sassy heroine and a banter-filled, sexy love story. Win!

Chloe is a workaholic. A litigator on her way to a partnership, she works incredibly hard, determined to succeed in her career and create stability for herself. She eats, sleeps and breathes work at the expense of having a personal life, and though she acknowledges it, she has no intention of changing. Her latest case at work is a possible career-maker, but she is less than impressed when her boss teams her up with another young litigator from her firm, Max Davis.

I know Max Davis, of course. Resident cocky asshole, bent on singlehandedly seducing our entire female staff. Everyone in the office knows all about Max fucking Davis, and his various sexcapades. Yes, plenty of people sneak around the non-fraternisation policy we have here, but he makes a damn contest of it.

Yes, Max has a reputation of being a total player, but that doesn’t stop her immediate reaction to him. The man is gorgeous, of course, but he has a charisma that is pretty much irresistible. For his part, Max is just as attracted to Chloe as he is to her – possibly even more so, but though he makes his desires clear, Chloe has no intention of getting involved with somebody from work, especially with Max the manwhore.

I love Max! The man is so much more than what he seems, and I love that the story is written in dual POV so we get to know him and see his side of the story from the very beginning. Max is smart, funny, charmingly cocky and infinitely sexy, and his attraction to Chloe is almost all-consuming. The chemistry between the two of them is absolutely sizzling, and the complete contempt that Chloe has for Max creates a sensationally entertaining dynamic as he flirts and she counters, and the banter is fantastic.

“I asked if that time works for you. Maybe if you weren’t so busy staring at my chest, you might’ve replied faster.”
“In my defense, at this angle it’s harder not to stare.” I let my gaze dip down her neck again. Especially with the way she hunches forward over the desk, arms splayed on the surface, I mean, any man in his right mind would be unable to resist. “Did you buy that shirt with the express purpose of distracting your enemies? Because I have to admit, it’s definitely working.”
She rolls her eyes skyward. “So you’re blaming me for your inability to keep your eyes to yourself.”
Blaming makes it sound so negative. Let’s call it appreciating. I appreciate that you work what you have, Chloe, and you do it damn well.”
Chloe crosses her arms over her chest. Okay, she has to be doing that on purpose. “You’re unbelievable.”
“So I’ve been told.” I flash her a wide smile.

There’s a sexual undertone to pretty much all of their encounters and the UST builds wonderfully until the inevitable happens and all of that tension explodes into epic hotness. Max is a dirty talker, and they are both very confident about what they want in the bedroom (and out of it), so the sexy time is all kinds of steamy.

“Naughty girls don’t get to come. Are you going to behave for me?”
“That depends. What will misbehaving get me?”

So freaking hot! But from the very beginning it’s clear that their connection is more than just physical, and their developing emotional bond is really nicely explored as they naturally, honestly and openly fall for each other.

But there’s still that work no-fraternisation policy. And can Chloe make room in her life for a relationship? And if she can, is Max a man she can trust with her heart?

This was a really enjoyable read. Max and Chloe’s relationship was fun and super sexy with a nice intensity and a surprising amount of heart. I really liked the way their relationship developed, and the fact that there’s time spent with them together, functional and happy. There’s some minor angst but it’s resolved well and without too much drama, and the story ends really nicely.

I really liked this one – 3.5 stars.

Advanced Review Copy generously provided in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Off Limits.

Quotes AJ Liked

Lola Darling
“Look, we’re going to have to work together whether you like it or not, Chloe. You might as well enjoy it.”
She raises an eyebrow. “Is that what you tell all the ladies?”
“Only the shy ones. I’d promise you I’ll be gentle, but you don’t seem like the shy type, to be honest…”
Chloe’s gaze narrows even farther, accentuated by the sharp, dark frames of her glasses. “Thanks, but I prefer to drive rather than riding the company bike.”
I snort. “You know, I hear slut-shaming is out of style these days.”
“Funny, I heard the same thing about hooking up with your secretary.”

Lola Darling
“So I’ve been told.” I flash her a wide smile.”

Lola Darling
“I want her. Every inch of her body, mind and spirit. I want to grab hold of her and never let go. Tonight I am staking my claim. She. Is. Mine.”

Lola Darling
“I am so screwed, I think vaguely, somewhere in the depths of the still-sane part of my brain. And I don’t even care. In fact, I fucking love it.”

Started Reading
July 28, 2016 – Finished Reading
July 29, 2016 – Shelved
July 29, 2016 – Shelved as: enemies-to-lovers
July 29, 2016 – Shelved as: romantic
July 29, 2016 – Shelved as: steamy
August 14, 2016 – Shelved as: arc

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Jessica's (new)

Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession Great review hun :)

message 2: by AJ (new) - rated it 3 stars

AJ Jessica's wrote: "Great review hun :)"

Thanks Jessica :)

message 3: by Robyn (new)

Robyn How did you get this book? I can't find it anywhere!

message 4: by AJ (new) - rated it 3 stars

AJ Robyn wrote: "How did you get this book? I can't find it anywhere!"

For some reason it was pulled from Amazon. I know the author is working to get it back up, but not sure when that will happen. Keep checking I guess! I'll let you know if I hear about it being released :)