Alison's Reviews > Fool Me Once

Fool Me Once by Katee Robert

I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley.

Ah, smash together a few of my favourite tropes and watch me vibrate with excitement. In this case Katee Robert knocked it out of the ball-park. Yippee.

Quinn Baldwyn is a big, burly cowboy on the Rodriguez ranch but his family are rich, old-school politics. He adores his baby sister and so, against his better judgement, has agreed to go to her wedding and run the gauntlet of his parents' disapproval and pressure to come back to the fold. When he realises that his parents are also trying to marry him off to a 'suitable' woman from their circle he is in despair.

Aubry Kaiser is fairly anti-social, her only real friend is Jules. She spends her time gaming, especially the cult game Deathmatch, and has crippling social anxiety. She has been invited to a special preview of the new game, one of only ten gamers, at a gaming conference and would love to attend, but can't bear the thought of being in all those crowds.

Jules comes up with a cunning plan ... you knew this was coming didn't you? Quinn could escort Aubry to the gaming convention and protect her from other people. In return, Aubry could be Quinn's fake girlfriend at his sister's wedding. I love this shit.

I have had a run of books I really like recently, not sure if I'm just in a mellow mood or whether I've just been lucky but I really enjoyed this book. Katee Robert really made Aubry's social anxiety and awkwardness feel real, and she didn't lose it 25% into the book like some other authors. I felt for Quinn and his pushy, obnoxious parents and I liked the way that the two of them worked through their misunderstandings.

Recommended for anyone who loves enemies to lovers, fake romances, gaming and small-towns - all my favourites basically!

L.O.V.E.D. I.T.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fool Me Once.

Started Reading