Melissa (YA Book Shelf)'s Reviews > Violet Grenade

Violet Grenade by Victoria Scott

Seriously, Violet Grenade is brilliant. It has an underlying dark humor that had me laughing out loud throughout the book, even though that isn't always the case with those kinds of comedic elements. It is also as creepy af - both while Domino is living in and working up the ranks in Madam Karina's Home for Burgeoning Entertainers and in flashbacks and memories of her past. You'll always have a sinking suspicion of where these elements will be heading, but there are twists along the way that you'll never see coming.

Most importantly, for a book like this, are the characters of Domino Ray and Wilson. They each have distinct voices and personalities, so readers will never mis the clues about who is in control of the narrative at any point. And then of course, there's Cain. Sweet, quiet, stone giant of a boy-man that he is. There is a slow burn connection between the two of them, and it's great. And of course, who could forget Domino's friendship with Poppet - in a world where girls are competitive and vindictive to one another, where manipulation and two-faced behaviour is common place - Domino and Poppet stick together through it all, and I think young women need more books with this kind of loyalty in them.

Finally, the metaphors, allusions, references, and all things metafictional. This novel is chockfull of these literary elements and references to everything from nursery rhymes, colloquial expressions, song lyrics, famous books and characters, and more. Readers might not be able to place all of them, but there appearance in so many sections elevated this book for me.

Violet Grenade made be the first Victoria Scott book Id ever read, but it definitely won't be my last.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Violet Grenade.

July 28, 2016 – Shelved
July 28, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
March 9, 2017 – Started Reading
March 9, 2017 –
5.0% "Okay, I'm not far in, but I started this in the very early morning hours. Still, one thing I know for sure - I can hear Victoria reading these words as I read them. Maybe that's partially because I saw her read the first few paragraphs of the book on Youtube last year, but I'm sure that there's more to it than that. Like how awesome Domino's voice is!"
March 9, 2017 –
6.0% "Great voice and funny as hell! Case in point: "For a so-so time call Trini!" found on the bathroom stall wall in a club."
March 11, 2017 –
60.0% "Domino's mother is creepy af. Interesting that Domino can see where Cain's guilt is misplaced, but not where her own is. Also, Cain's backstory is just so perfect - impossible for the author to not add that detail. XAnd this mystery with Ellie, the girl Domino replaced, is getting bigger and bigger."
March 11, 2017 – Finished Reading