Brittany's Reviews > Word Nerd

Word Nerd by Susin Nielsen

May 26, 2011

liked it

Ambrose is a quirky kid. He wears purple cords and bright green and red shirts, and a knitted hat with a pompom. He's a smart aleck. He's intelligent. And the kids at school do not like him.

This is the story of a young misfit, who finds a way to fit in and expand his world with Scrabble. The story itself is (and believe me I don't like to say this about books) kinda "cute." It's a very hopeful story meant for younger readers - perhaps readers who do not fit in.

I found the things I liked most about this book were the first person voice of Ambrose, and the off-kilter-but-wholesome relationship between him and Cosmo.

The things I liked least were (for some reason) consistent mentions of taking a "poo", and his insane mother. Having grown up in a household where my parents were not at all overbearing, I have a hard time (especially as an adult) coping with stories or examples of parents who are. I just want to smack them around and say "Give your kid some breathing room!"

I picked this book up because I love to play "kitchen" scrabble. I'm good enough that my husband doesn't like to play with me anymore, and bad enough that I'm not a serious challenge to anyone who takes playing seriously. But I always thought it would be interesting to hear a little more about the competitive world of Scrabble. This isn't really the book for that. Scrabble in this book is a vehicle for change and development, and not a character itself. So if you're looking for a book ABOUT Scrabble, this is not it. If you're looking for a book about kids finding a way to fit in and learning some life lessons along the way, this book is for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Word Nerd.