Laura's Reviews > The God Delusion

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

U 50x66

It was very interesting to see all the issues with claiming 'God' exists. I grew up with deeply religious parents who taught me that God is Love and All That Matters in this Evil World. I've had, since a young age, issues with the whole 'God Factor'. I remember asking my mom how God existed: If he created the universe, how did he exist to make it, and if nothing existed before him (like I was taught), and did he live in a big black space of nothingness, and again how. Of course, she had always been unable to answer (like anyone would be) and I become more confused. She said sometimes the answer to questions are impossible to find, we just have to have faith and possibly wait till we find out the answer, e.g. in death.
Sometimes I wish I had been more gullible and less curious about the matter of our existence - but this book really helped me sort out my thoughts on this matter. Today I talked to my mom about issues with the bible and how terrible it is - which I have a vague memory of doing in the past when I disliked what I learned about in 10th grade Bible Studies (one of my subjects as I went to a religious school).
She's always been understanding of my doubts, but being told the only answer is 'to have faith' is not reassuring, much less makes me physically more able to believe in it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The God Delusion.

Started Reading