Elizabeth Neal's Reviews > Shift

Shift by Sidney Bristol

liked it

**3.5 Stars**

Classic Rides may be their legitimate business to the outside world, allowing all of the team to remain "hidden," but Emery's job tends to keep him separated from them as you can usually find him in his own little fortress, surrounded by his computers, doing what he needs to do to keep his teammates safe.

Emery, thanks to a certain set of skills that landed him in trouble, now secretly works for the FBI as an agent and field tech. Although, his job isn't quite the usual per the employee handbook. His talents are a bit more umm...legally challenged. But, as he's now on the right side of the law, and not completely bored out of his mind, he can handle this new side of himself. Plus, it keeps him close to the woman he can't stop thinking about, can't stop wanting and it comes in handy sometimes, like now, when he uses that talent to work a deal for some information regarding a hit. A hit Emery thinks is meant for Tori, the woman he yearns to be with, yet believes she's out of his league as he's the resident geek.

Tori, and her twin, Roni, are the daughters of a KGB spy turned American informant. Though their Dad may be gone now, there are people that believe they have some valuable information. Tori and Roni being part of the same undercover team as Emery doesn't help either.

As for Tori, she is fascinated by all things Emery, aka The Walking Brain, and is finding it harder to hide that fact. Not to mention the fact that he hides his emotions so well, she has no idea what he thinks about her, about anything really.

As Emery uncovers more details regarding the hit, he also learns a little more about Tori and Roni's pasts. What he learns leaves him with mixed emotions, fear for Tori and shock as he gets more of a peek into their childhood. As Roni is out of town with other team members, therefore of the equation right now, Emery needs to know Tori is safe and to be with her to make sure she stays that way.

Can Emery keep her safe? Will the danger be over before Roni returns? Will Tori and Roni's pasts finally be laid to rest? Who is after Tori and Roni? Is it solely tied to their past, or is more going on they aren't aware of yet? What happens when Emery and Tori are in such close quarters together? Will they realize the attraction is mutual? Will they act on it? Is their connection more than physical? Could they have something real growing between them? Is there a HEA in their future?

One-click now to read about this group of misfits, somewhat reformed, that have come together and become a family. Watch as two of them finally act on their chemistry and realize they belong together. Please keep in mind this is book two in the series, Drive being the first, I hadn't previously read the first book, and the author does give some of the back story allowing us to catch up, I do wish I had read the books in order as I feel I would've enjoyed this one more and felt more connected to the characters. All in all, I still found it to be an enjoyable story, though I may have continually felt like I was behind in the story as I didn't have the history from book one in my memory.

**I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.**
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shift.

Finished Reading