Karen's Reviews > The Debutante

The Debutante by Kathleen Tessaro

May 25, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: historical, general

Quite disappointed with this book. It was more of a character study, and very lacking in an actual plot. I guess this could be classified as contemporary literature. I couldn't see where it was going, and kept reading to find out. It seemed to go nowhere, though I suppose it was interesting. It involved 2 separate story lines, one set in modern times, and one historical. I felt in the end, that the historical part was used more as a padding to make this into book length. If it was intended for anything else, it didn't end up going there. There was no actual joining up of the parts, it would have been better if there had been. There was some clever convenience at the end, where you are convinced that you may have just met the historical character - but nothing is conclusive.
I think she was trying to make a point about injustices, and heart-breaks with this story - which I suppose that came across. However, I found it amusing that having wanted to set the original story in the V&A, she found that too big a canvas. An author friend gave her a shoebox with random objects inside to inspire her story. She literally used that... To be fair, it was very readable, but I was left at the end wondering the point of it all? This was the first book of hers that I've read. I won't be looking at any more... Sorry.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Debutante.