Natshane's Reviews > Killer Potential

Killer Potential by Aften Brook Szymanski

I don't even know where to start, it has so much potential, yet it could have been so much more.

If you are looking for a happy ending, consider yourself warned, you are in for an intense, depressing ride. The hauntingly amazing cover pulled me in right away and the story was off to a good start. Killer Potential was written in dual time frame, alternating between "the past" and the "present" as told from Yvette's perspective. In "the past", Yvette was portrayed as a young girl learning her ways in the real world. In "the present", the setting was switched to a psychiatric ward where Yvette was admitted into under a murder conviction Despite the constant alternation between the dual time frame, I thought the idea was brilliant! The story does not feel lacking, development wise.

Killer Potential explored themes that the society considered as taboo, from drug abuse, suicide tendencies, pedophilia and peer pressure, the author delved into the unspeakable through the eyes of a young Yvette, and how she handled herself in such situations. This book was everything the blurb promises it to be!

As much as I love the element of the story (for a moment I had an AHS - American Horror Story flashback), I often felt myself emotionally disconnected from Yvette, in which I find rather disheartening. Don't get me wrong, Yvette is a great character, however I am disappointed that I could not find myself bonding with her character as much as I wanted to. Perhaps it was her erratic thoughts, or her unique personality, she is definitely a complex character that I need more time to get to know her more.

I'll definitely re-read the book in hopes of understanding Yvette better (because honestly, who suffers through all that and survives?), as for now my thoughts for the book are dark, depressing and beautifully crafted. I will leave it at that!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Killer Potential.

July 24, 2016 – Started Reading