Elyse Walters's Reviews > Dark Matter

Dark Matter by Blake Crouch

bookshelves: mystery-thriller, science-fiction

I was hooked right away. Exciting -page turner- extremely fast pacing as rumors have spread.

The author has a unique style of writing- very short sentences. "SHOTS OF ADRENALINE"!!!
He also creates clear images from the start -- visuals of family life....[Thurs. night is family night with Jason, Daniela, and their son Charlie].
The dialogue is intimate - but at times the narration felt laborious - however the author draws us in anyway.

I liked this story... It's almost impossible to put it down -as others have said. But I was left with questions - 'why and how' questions.

So....FOR PEOPLE WHO 'HAVE' read this book....I have questions: But NO SPOILERS --so if other 'book-lovers' are reading this - my questions won't give anything away.
What did you think about Amanda? And am I the only one who wanted to see more developed in her character? Other thoughts about......? [YOU KNOW]
Also...did anyone else feel sad for Daniela? I tried to imagine being in her shoes...
Daniela was strong and always held her own--almost a saint at times--but I still felt sorry for her.

In "Dark Matter", Blake Crouch doesn't just build a world...he explores various incidences of the multiverse. Parts of these worlds were MIND BLOWING-COMPELLING!!! TWISTY THINKING!!
Our imaginations are being stretched like an old stretched rubber band. Once over-stretched - there is no way to ever find its way back to its original shape.

What makes you you?
and
What makes me me?
ALL YOUR ANSWERS can be found in this novel.....( ha ha), unless you are like me...and come away with QUESTIONS!

Either way...this is a groovy train ride! Easy to read in one sitting!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Matter.

Finished Reading
July 27, 2016 – Shelved
July 27, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
November 3, 2019 – Shelved as: mystery-thriller
November 3, 2019 – Shelved as: science-fiction

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)

message 1: by Dem (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dem Lol! Great review Elyse, I came away with questions too, but great read,

Karen Great review Elyse! I can't wait to read this!!!

Taryn Wonderful review! It was such a crazy ride! Regarding Amanda, YES! I actually almost forgot about her character her until now! I think I'm being vague enough, but I'm tagging just in case!)(view spoiler)

message 4: by Elyse (last edited Aug 18, 2016 06:29AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elyse  Walters Dem.....(laughing with ya)..........Man, why the heck was Amanda dropped off? I liked her!!!!!!!!!! :( ...............lol
and the BIG question I have is............"how real is some of this?" ---
Paul and I are watching "Stranger Things" right now --the new series with Winona Ryder -and having read a few other books about 'dark matter'.....(a term starting to be generic don't you think in virtual reality news) ---that to 'not' believe any longer is just being naiive.
At the same time --I'm still not a big sci fi fan --but I've enjoyed several books in the last couple of years....(this is light) ---
another question for ya? Am I the only one who had feelings for Daniela? geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee --I don't think I'd been as generous with my feelings toward Paul lol

Elyse  Walters Thank you Karen!!!!! I think you'll like this. Its sure hard to put down!

Elyse  Walters Taryn..........I have a three letter word for you............"YES"! lol
I did too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and now that I 'have' read this book --I can read other reviews --(really read them)...............so I'll go read yours sweetie pie!!!!!!!!!
xo

message 7: by Dem (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dem Perhaps, she will turn up in a sequel? I had a lot of questions on finishing as well Elyse and I kinda drove my hubby mad for a while. I don't read a lot of books like this but every now and then one comes along to tickle my fancy and I get in the zone just to freak myself out. I think its good for the brain.

PorshaJo Great review Elyse! I'm reading this one now (work keeps getting in the way) and so far loving it. I have to come back here and revisit your questions once I'm done. This is really a thought provoking read.

Melissa Great review, Elyse! I had the same question at the end. (view spoiler) Maybe we'll get a spinoff or a sequel. Fingers crossed. :)

Elyse  Walters Dem ---I can see you bugging your husband ---I do it all the time! lol

PorshaJo ---yes....isn't it though --(even as you are reading it) ---seems we want to discuss it --not 'NOT' discuss it! lol
Hope you are not working too hard at least. The week-end is coming up --hope you get some time off to relax!

I hope so --because --if its a 'add-on' thought --they don't usually work as well. (but then again --this author seems to know what he is doing) ....
and ? did you like all of the narration? or think a little of it was tedious? (I'm getting picky now)....lol Hugs!!!

Cheri Elyse you have magically captured the excitement and non-stop mental questioning I went through reading this. Wonderful review! I have no answers for you, though!

Elyse  Walters Thanks Cheri......... guess I'll keep working it out in the water today...lol xoxo

Matthew Great review! :)

Melissa Elyse wrote: "Melissa....I must go read your review --- I think you are soooooo right on! That's it. Do you think a sequel was 'already' planned?
..."

I hope there's a sequel planned! I WANT MORE! LOL. Honestly, I loved it all. I didn't find it to be tedious at all, which was shocking. I'm not a sci-fi person typically. Hugs back atcha. ♥

Elyse  Walters Hugs back Melissa!!!............you know I love a girl with enthusiasm for a book! (a girl after my own heart)..........I'll read the sequel too! sign me up! :)

Alexandra I was fine with how things ended up with Amanda. I honestly thought it was perfect. bittersweet of course but perfect. after all, she couldn't go back to her world so I'm glad she was able to start over so to speak and hopefully find something better

Elyse  Walters Thanks Alexandra...lots of good points. -makes sense -
yeah... my reaction was/is emotional....

Thanks for the healthy perspective, Alexandra

message 18: by Ron (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ron Nearly everyone is liking this one Elyse. Glad to see you did too! If only I could get it from my library!

Elyse  Walters Soon Ron!!! You could almost sit in a bookstore cafe and finish it in 1 or two sittings drinking some coffee & tea.

Christina Great review Elyse! I also wanted more of a follow up to Amanda, would have loved to know what ended up happening to her, especially since she was such a key character for a part of it.

Elyse  Walters See!!! lol. Thanks Christina! There must be a sequel coming.

And OMG.... Siri try to cast of characters for the movie lol

Frances This one does hook you in Elyse!

Elyse  Walters Sure does Frances. I just walked out of the movie "Come Hell
Or High Water, with Chris pine, and Jeff Bridges ..,, I have about an hour and 20 minute walk home ... So I'm speaking into this phone .,
If you get a chance to see the movie, it's really terrific ---
So many wonderful sensory overloads. lol
Have a great weekend

Frances Elyse wrote: "Sure does Frances. I just walked out of the movie "Come Hell
Or High Water, with Chris pine, and Jeff Bridges ..,, I have about an hour and 20 minute walk home ... So I'm speaking into this phone ...."

Oh thanks so much Elyse! I will make a note of this movie; sounds great - will let you know once I've seen it!! Hope you had a nice walk home - I was on the golf course this morning for my walk. Enjoy your weekend!! :-0)

Elyse  Walters Sounds nice Frances...being out on the golf course! Oh and do look for that movie - old fashion cops & robbers -excellent!!!!

Elyse  Walters Thank you Matthew!!!!!!! Happy week-end!

message 27: by Janice (new)

Janice Frances wrote: "Elyse wrote: "Sure does Frances. I just walked out of the movie "Come Hell

Im going to look for it too. Love Chris Pine and Bridges family.

Elyse  Walters Janice --its good! :)

message 29: by Cindy (last edited Sep 04, 2016 04:32PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cindy I also thought that we'd find out that Amanda had a relationship with (view spoiler) But something about her character never felt fully formed to me. I wanted to know more.

Elyse  Walters Exactly!!!.............*Cindy*!!!! My thoughts as well! The more I think about it ---it must have been done on purpose??? Think we are going to see a follow up??? LOVE -*LOVE* the doggie-eye-glasses-photo!!! Whats the story behind it? Its so darn HAPPY-CUTE!!

Cindy I always said my baby was smart, so she needed to look the part. It's extremely goofy, but I title that picture "Prof Duchess Westerrien, PhDog", since her name is Duchess and she's a West Highland White Terrier.

Elyse  Walters Love it Cindy!!!!! Terrific info. story!!! :)

LeAnne: GeezerMom His science was so inaccurate, that I could not get past it and forgive all the other minor little things that bugged me. It is hard for a scientist like me to jump into science fiction books when there are glaring errors. I loooooooooved The Martian, somewhat in part because it was spot on with its scientific attributes. I need an alternate reality so I can give this five stars instead of two! Lol!

Elyse  Walters Got it LeeAnn .... Ms. Science girl!

Sondra To answer your qu: Amanda-- um yes! We need sequel(s)! Am I alone in wanting more at the end?! It was fantastic but I just want KNOW... ironically that desire caused the entire problem in the book!

message 36: by L A i N E Y (new)

L A i N E Y Well as i enjoy 'groovy train ride' as you so cleverly called it from time to time, i'll have to check this out!!

Elyse  Walters Oh! lainey... love you "Oh".....lainey.... and yes this will be a train ride! :). Seat belts required. lol. Xo

Steve Fabulous, as always, Elyse! I only hope that your over-stretched rubber band of an imagination still has enough elasticity in it for others like this one.

message 39: by Miriam (new) - added it

Miriam Smith Awesome review Elyse! 😍

message 40: by William (new) - added it

William Thank you for the review!

Elyse  Walters Soooo late to respond... SORRY!!!!
Thank you Steve, Miriam, and William.

This Friday is my surgery day... so trying to get sound much done until I go in to come out with a ne face. Lol.

Hugs to My lovely frirnds💕📚🍓

message 42: by Candace (new) - added it

Candace Okay. That does it. I'm adding it to my TBR list. With all the wonderful reviews, it is a must read. Thanks, Elyse!

Janice Boychuk Just finished this book - UH-MAZING! Yes indeed I’d love to have seen more with Amanda - a sequel would be so great!!

Aurora Shele Loved loved loved this! There is more truth to this book than many multiverse theories have tried to capture out there. We do create our realities with you unconcious thoughts (thank you Amanda) every day so we do navigate in this multiverse evreyday. :) Maybe I'm alone in this but I didn't miss Amanda much. I think she played her role but I wouldn't mind seeing more of her. I would like to see and explore the world Charlie and the others went in so I'm crossing my fingers for a second book and maybe a triology. ;)