April's Reviews > Unconventional

Unconventional by J.J. Hebert

Everyone needs a bit of inspiration from time to time and Unconventional is the perfect story to fall into for not only great entertainments, but for a blessing and reminder to believe in oneself.

Honestly, I have been wanting to read Unconventional for some time. When I learned that J.J. Hebert would be touring with Pump Up Your Book Promotions, I instantly jumped at the opportunity to be part of the tour. I was thoroughly rewarded for my patience. Unconventional is a story of a young man, James Frost, who has always had the dream to become a published author. Through years of hard work, perseverance and pushing aside the constant criticism of everyone when they heard that James wanted to be a "writer" he feels as though his novel, The Forsaken World, is the "make it or break it" turn in the road of his life. When his work is met with several rejection slips, James is not sure where to go next. It is when he learns to allow a bit of faith and self-confidence into his life, that James can take control of his life and his dreams.

For me, James was the perfect character to encompass feelings and thoughts that many of us go through. He is an amazingly relate-able character for nearly everyone. To be honest, everyone goes through insecurities, feelings of being abandoned and alone, lost and without hope. This is a simple aspect of life, no matter who you are or where you come from. It is during these times that we desperately need a light to reach toward - a spark in a seemingly endless darkness. Unconventional encompasses this perfectly and reminds people that with faith, that light will never leave our side - even if it may seem to dim from time to time.

J.J. Hebert exudes a dramatic and fine-tuned talent for storytelling with his debut novel Unconventional. He touches on truth and humanity in an incredibly unforgettable way. The story is smooth, well put together and consistent from start to finish. I have mentioned that I loved the character of James, however, I have not mentioned how much I adore his girlfriend, Leigh. She has a background story all her own, and proves a wondrous inspiration for James. The two compliment one another perfectly. Another character that shines brightly within Unconventional is Mitch. His unending faith in James is beyond touching and I wish that everyone had a Mitch in their lives.

Throughout the story itself, Unconventional touches on wonderful tidbits of messages that are perfect to remember each and every day. One such thought is on page 90:

Then his face becomes suddenly stern, like he's about to go into scold mode. "Quitting is a disease. You quit once, it spreads into twice, and before you know what hit you, it transforms into an epidemic."
I absolutely love this quote from the book. It is incredibly true and, amazingly, an epidemic that touches too many lives. That little voice that says "You are not good enough.", "Give up now. Why waste your time." With enough faith, that voice can be shut down and replaced with "You can do it. Just don't give up." Dreams are treasures, without them there is nothing but bleakness. The more work it takes to reach a dream, the greater the respect and thankfulness for reaching and obtaining what once seemed unattainable.

In any case, I feel as though I am straying from the review itself. These thoughts and feelings are such that truly shined for me from within Unconventional. While reading Mr. Hebert's work, I found myself truly and emotionally thrust within the pages. There were times that I felt my heart breaking and the hairs on my arms standing on end from the intensity of this emotion. Other times my heart warmed and smiles broke out upon my face. A roller coaster ride of emotions? Without a doubt. Worth it? Beyond question.

J.J. Hebert is a true talent and I cannot wait for future works by him to grace readers everywhere, myself included!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unconventional.

Started Reading