Kavya U.'s Reviews > The Lively Library & An Unlikely Romance

The Lively Library & An Unlikely Romance by Niranjan Navalgund

bookshelves: strongly-recommended

First of all, I feel thankful to Niranjan Navalgund for writing this book. It’s the perfect tribute for all the books in the world. Every bibliophile should cherish this book. You would surely find a message or two, written especially for you. This book has instigated in me a yearning to read ‘books about books’. Doesn’t that sound exciting? To read books about books gives the best feeling in the world.

Moving on to the story, The Lively Library is a story about a library which comes to life at night. During the day, a librarian named Nayan takes care of it and tries to solve the mysterious happenings in the library (maybe he’d solve them in the sequel:-) ). Some of the book characters in the library are Hiriya Halepu (Senior Old Book), Kapshi (Book Man), MookBonk (Philosopher) and Helmine (Resolute Protector). I loved each and every book’s characterization. Every book in the library had depth in them and conveyed some valuable lessons through their conversations. Especially when the books go to the MookBonk for a shrink talk, he has to be paid using beautiful words in return for his answers. How amazing is that! The books in the library represent us – yeah, human beings. Just like us, there are seniors, juniors, philosophers, fake ones and even highly intelligent ones. What’s more! The books emote just like us. You can find every kind of emotion – love, affection, anger, resentment, fear, sorrow and happiness.

These books are supported by their three pillars – Kanasu, Manasu and Nanasu. These stand for dreams, heart and fulfillment of wishes. Don’t we have all these things? Niranjan weaves these three intricately and presents us a concoction of love, wisdom and mystery. There are also codes in the story which Helmine solves intelligently. You can also have fun solving them before you get to know the answer. One more aspect which I liked about the story is Niranjan’s indigenous way of naming the books and the various terms. He creates a near-perfect parallel universe which has everything in it – like Gods, councils, search database, secret chambers, messengers and rituals. Please do consult the glossary as soon as you encounter a bord (book + word). You can definitely increase your bookabulary.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lively Library & An Unlikely Romance.

July 23, 2016 – Started Reading