Jace's Reviews > The Five Fists of Science

May 24, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: comics
Read from May 24 to 25, 2011

Given the premise of this book, I had high expectations for a historical-fantasy adventure. But this turned out to be an unfortunate example of a great concept ruined by poor execution. The basic premise is this: a group of inventors and industrialists (Thomas Edison, J.P. Morgan, Andrew Carnegie, etc) have begun to dabble in the dark arts and are planning to summon a Lovecraftian horror to devour New York City. (I have no idea why--the reader is given no insight into their actions.) Nikola Tesla and Mark Twain build a giant robot to stop them. The End. That's seriously the extent of the story. There's very little plot development and almost no characterization, other than a few disposable Twain-esque witticisms. I was really surprised to see a book with so much promise fizzle out so disappointingly. The lack of depth leaves this book feeling like a cheap League of Extraordinary Gentlemen rip-off. I'm not sure what the big deal is with Matt Fraction. People seem to like his stuff, but if this is any indication, he's highly overrated.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Five Fists of Science.

11/16/2016 marked as: read