Defne (that-bookworm)'s Reviews > We Were Never Here

We Were Never Here by Jennifer Gilmore

Jul 25, 2016

it was ok
bookshelves: owned-english-only, 2016

The really ironic thing is that The Mess I Made by Parachute was playing on my phone while I was reading the last couple of pages and I'm pretty sure I read the word "mess" at least ten times. Ha.

But that's what this book was. A mess.

It was all over the place; I didn't get the point of this book, I mean what happened in the beginning and what happened at the end and what changed from the beginning to the ending?

The themes were all jumbled: it was girl power at some point and then grief and them acceptance and then love and then pity and then realisation and I wasn't sure I was keeping up with the plot anymore.

I didn't understand Lizzie and Connor's relationship, I didn't understand what they were doing or what exactly they were trying to do.

In conclusion, I didn't understand the book. There were some meaningful quotes that I underlined but other than that, it felt like the space between two quotes was just trying to be filled.

I admit, I judged the book by its cover when I saw it on the shelf, but what can I do? It had a really pretty cover... *grimaces* :(

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Were Never Here.

July 25, 2016 – Started Reading
July 25, 2016 – Shelved
July 25, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
July 25, 2016 – Shelved as: owned-english-only
page 0
0.0% "I'm just seeing the negative reviews... Oh man, I hope this doesn't disappoint >.<"
page 81
25.31% "Rude"
page 100
31.25% "Did he just say what I think he said????"
July 26, 2016 –
page 175
54.69% "I don't really get this book"
July 26, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016
July 26, 2016 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Sorry to hear the book was a mess, but I LOVE THAT SONG.

Defne (that-bookworm) Lauren wrote: "Sorry to hear the book was a mess, but I LOVE THAT SONG."

AAAH I know I love Parachute!!!